Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing in camper >

Sewing in camper

Sewing in camper

Old 06-17-2016, 06:05 PM

Default Sewing in camper

We are buying a tear drop camper. It is very small. Thinking of how to sew in such a tight place. Anyone tried that ? www.golittleguy.com you'll see how small. Mine is a T@B S-max . 2 weeks without sewing might send me over the hill or darling husband. Lol
Old 06-17-2016, 06:45 PM

We have a 29' RV and it is almost too small to sew in. I usually take hand sewing projects. I make yo-yos, hexies, and felt penny rugs. I did take the center panel of my daughter's wedding quilt and appliqued the tree and the leaves on. Everything was pre cut. All my projects fit into a small plastic tub. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t247008.html
Old 06-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

wow that is smal i would do hand sewing or where you go if nice sit a chair up and sew outside. good luck!!!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:57 PM

I sit at the dinette usually. I have thought about piecing outside, but I can just imagine all the little pieces blowing away! I precut projects ahead of time and package them in huge ziplock bags. You can leave the machine, notions, and project in the car/truck when you aren't sewing. BTW, this is a great time for a Featherweight if you have one. Mine takes up a lot less space than my Bernina!

Pam
Old 06-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure there are ways to sew in any space, but there are other things to do too. Maybe try something new?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:33 PM

That trailer looks so cool. But I must say, after watching the video, I do believe I have more room in our tent. There is no place to sit within the trailer, there are no tables. When we go camping, I take hand sewing. Do you plan to camp where there is an electrical hook up? If so, do you have a small portable machine? Or you could invest in a hand crank, either way you could sit at a table outside to sew. But I would never leave a machine outside overnight.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, would not be for me, as other said do hand sewing outside. Bet you upsize before long.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:01 PM

I have a small 2 berth caravan about the same size as the teardrop. I keep my sewing machine and projects in the car until I decide to work. I use the dining table to sew on. I've sandwiched and quilted a lap size quilt but would not do anything bigger. You could make all the blocks and make a quilt by sandwiching and quilting each block for quilt as you go at home. I take a small electric sewing machine not my main one, just in case it gets stolen from the car, I do take a couple of hand projects for when I want to sit outside. I usually take too many projects but luckily it's only me and 2 dogs in the caravan so more room than you will have. Wadding / batting takes up a large space so you may want to cut down on this or store in a specific space. I use the car for all sewing activities. One point to watch is condensation or damp during the night.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:58 AM

Thanks, I will do "Over the river" quilt lots of hand embroidery . I haven't started it yet . This will give me time to. Good suggestions.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by skothing View Post
We are buying a tear drop camper. It is very small. Thinking of how to sew in such a tight place. Anyone tried that ? www.golittleguy.com you'll see how small. Mine is a T@B S-max . 2 weeks without sewing might send me over the hill or darling husband. Lol
Yeah, LOL, you can forget sewing in that. Those little teardrops are basically just a place to sleep. How about some hand embroidery in a nice chair outside?

I have to say that much "togetherness" with my old man would result in someone's demise!