Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing with clothesline, new way to me, anyways

Question Sewing with clothesline, new way to me, anyways

I found this site with directions to sew anything from trivet size to floor mat using cotton clothesline sewing channels instead of wrapping the cord. Just wondered if anyone else has done this method. Will include address, too. Thanks.
    http://www.hoffmanfabrics.com/EDocs/...%20pattern.pdf

Interesting way to do it.

Interesting concept. I wonder how well it wears though?
    Diana

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hen3rietta View Post
    Interesting concept. I wonder how well it wears though?
    That was my first thought, too
    Nancy in western NY

Not sure how wearable it is, but I have seen one. It was gorgeous. The large one was being used for a yoga mat. I may try one of the smallest ones. And I think if it were to be used on the floor it would have to have something underneath it so it would not slip. A local quilt shop is going to have a class in the spring and I would like to take it. You learn so much when you take a class. This is what prompted me to look up the directions and luckily I found them. Worth a try, I will try trivet size.

I printed and read thru the instructions and love the idea....so many uses. My question is when threading the cord through the channels and between the batting layers, won't it shred the batting? I will be trying this.....but am thinking about a "possible" different method .....there has to be a way to add the cord at the same time you are sewing the fabrics into channels.

I agree. Maybe a zipper foot??

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I printed and read thru the instructions and love the idea....so many uses. My question is when threading the cord through the channels and between the batting layers, won't it shred the batting? I will be trying this.....but am thinking about a "possible" different method .....there has to be a way to add the cord at the same time you are sewing the fabrics into channels.

Blog Entries
    This idea is definately going on my "to do SOON" list...I've been wanting a special little rug for under an antique rocking chair I have, and this will make it very special! Thanks for the link.
    MzzzQuilts aka Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    That was my first thought, too
    I wonder about how well it will wear also. It look pretty, but rugs are pretty inexpensive and why in the world would I want to use perfectly good quilting fabric to walk on. Yet if some one likes it why not?

Fabriclovr
    Interesting. I don't think I would sew channels and then put in cording, I think I would put the cording in the fold first and then sew, much less work I would think but having not made this, it is just a guess on my part. I to would wonder why someone would use the expensive quilting fabric for a rug. Mayby something from Wal-mart, but floor rugs are pretty cheep.. again, interesting idea.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast