Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Curves Tips/Tutes? >

Sewing Curves Tips/Tutes?

Sewing Curves Tips/Tutes?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:10 AM

There are lots of posts from ppl who haven't sewn curves,but would like to. I'm one of them looking for tips & info.Do you have a good site to recommend? With my hearing prob,pics are better than a video.

My newer machine has several feet.Do I need a special foot for sewing curves? Any & all help appreciated.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 AM

The best tips I know are put the larger, fuller piece of fabric on the bottom so the feed dogs can help ease in the fullness. It also helps to pin at both ends and the middle and then keep dividing up the fullness that still exists the same way. If you are doing something like the flower block that is actually gathered you could baste the larger fabric and actually gather it before you attach it to the straighter piece. The most important thing to remember is that fabric is not a finate medium. If after all your efforts it still doesn't lie flat steam the heck out of it.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
There are lots of posts from ppl who haven't sewn curves,but would like to. I'm one of them looking for tips & info.Do you have a good site to recommend? With my hearing prob,pics are better than a video.

My newer machine has several feet.Do I need a special foot for sewing curves? Any & all help appreciated.
My friend and I bought a foot called a curvemaster. It comes with lots of different size shanks to fit most machines. My friend has an Elna which is over 30 years old and there was even one for that. We bought them from the States and I think they were about $22.99 USD. You can google it
Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 AM

I've found that if, as I sew, I let them curve up like the cuff on a sleeve that they go togther much easier and nicer than if I try to sew and keep them flat. And as much as I believe it's a four letter word, use the dreaded PINS. (Now I have to go wash my finger tips with soap.)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 AM
cjk

Curves aren't a problem for me but then I set sleeves in shirts for years in a factory. I don't think my method would work with alot of people. I never use pins and I hold both top and bottom seperate.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 AM

That's exactly the kind of help/tips I need.Thanks so much for taking the time to help ole klutzy...me.:-)
Going to keep your post & hopefully learn to piece curves.Haven't even seen the flowers you mentioned,but maybe someday. Pat

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
The best tips I know are put the larger, fuller piece of fabric on the bottom so the feed dogs can help ease in the fullness. It also helps to pin at both ends and the middle and then keep dividing up the fullness that still exists the same way. If you are doing something like the flower block that is actually gathered you could baste the larger fabric and actually gather it before you attach it to the straighter piece. The most important thing to remember is that fabric is not a finate medium. If after all your efforts it still doesn't lie flat steam the heck out of it.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-70221-1.htm
Maybe this will help.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Just knew there were ppl on here with tips for sewing curves.Going to try this afternoon.....wish me luck! :-)
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM

That video is really good - I liked her Crazy Curves templates so much I accidentally bought two identical sets. Never used either one of them, yet. :)

I used her method with a vintage quilting foot - it has very short toes so you can hold the upper fabric up until just before it comes under the needle. It worked out much better for me than a normal zig-zag foot which has longer toes. You can buy them pretty cheap on eBay if you watch for them.

Once I got the hang of it, I wondered why I had ever been worried about sewing curves. I'd way rather sew curves than those blasted "y" or "x" seams!

The CurveMaster foot worked even better because it has a guide on the right side of the foot to keep your 1/4" seams even - your fabric can't wander out past the guide. A normal sewing foot doesn't have this, so you're having to keep the fabrics separated, but keep the edges rolled in to meet AND keep your seam allowance at 1/4" by eye, all at the same time! I'm really not that coordinated! :mrgreen:
Old 01-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Start out with large pieces, and then go on to smaller ones :D:D:D