Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing and embroidery machines >

Sewing and embroidery machines

Sewing and embroidery machines

Old 05-26-2007, 07:05 PM

I have been quilting for my family for only a few years, but they seem to love them. My sewing machine I recently had has bit the dust and now I am looking for one for sewing and also an embroidery machine so I can do Christmas gifts. Can I get both machines in one, or is it better to have two?

Shondell
Old 05-27-2007, 11:12 AM

The singer futura does both when using the sewing mode you have about 30 differnt stiches and it has an attachment for using as an embroidery machine it just slides in plase. You connect right to your computer when using emb par. No need for spiecal cards or Ped and whatever.

When I buy a design I just download to a folde I set up and go from there they sell for under 600 dollars there is the CE 200 and CE 100 also have differnt programs you can buy. Check the out at sewvacdirect.com had mine in 4 days
Old 05-27-2007, 03:04 PM

hi
there are quite a few on the market that do both,just depends what you want and what you want to spend,Bernina,Singer Pfaff,Husqvarna viking all have excellent machines
I have the Viking Designer SE and it is awesome but it also has an awesome pricetag
kathy :-)
Old 05-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Brother SE270D~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 06:48 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/602.page

Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 AM

The Janome machines are my favorite, however you need to go check the various macihines out, check features you want, cost of machine and how well your dealer will service it for you. That is the most important. Because you need a dealer who will give you classes and help you in any way you need. DoNOT buy it off the internet, or second hand. The old saying, you get what you pay for. Good Luck. Marge
Old 05-28-2007, 12:47 PM

thanks for saying that Marge,I felt I should come back and post the same thing,check with your dealers and they will show you all the features,and they should offer classes for free with the purchase of one of their machines and be available to help you and answer all your questions,i know mine does.Unless you are VERY familiar with the operation of a particular machine I would never buy one off the internet,nor at a store that doesn't offer classes or professional knowledgeable help
kathy :)
Old 05-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
The Janome machines are my favorite, however you need to go check the various macihines out, check features you want, cost of machine and how well your dealer will service it for you. That is the most important. Because you need a dealer who will give you classes and help you in any way you need. DoNOT buy it off the internet, or second hand. The old saying, you get what you pay for. Good Luck. Marge
Mic-pa is absolutely correct. This type of purchase requires some hands-on research. Go into the stores, talk to the dealers, try the machines (if possible), and ofcourse, read reviews from other users of the brands you like. I am a Brother fan myself, but I have never tried many other brands so I can't say how they compare to each other. (Brother vs. Bernina, Pfaff, Janome, etc)
Old 10-28-2007, 09:38 AM

I have sewed with a Singer for over 47 years,however, when my 920 Singer died from overuse, I went looking for a new machine. I was not happy that Singer had combined the computer, embroidery and sewing machine and you had to have internet access to use that particular machine. I wound up buying a 950 Viking which I liked but still did not do what I wanted it to - especially with retirement in my very near future. I traded it up to a Designer 1 USB port which I am extremely happy with. It enables me not only to sew the many different designs on my machine but by adding the embroidery arm and the various hoops that you can buy or what comes with the machine - 3 different ones - I am able to do embroidery work. I, also, brought my son a Sapphire 850 - Viking - and am waiting to trade it up to a Sapphire machine with embroidery capability. The Sapphire from Viking has a 10 inch space which is great for working with quilts.