Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing furniture >

Sewing furniture

Sewing furniture

Old 01-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Default Sewing furniture

Hi all, I was wondering where to purchase a sewing table from that isn't cheap but doesn't cost a fortune either. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:52 PM

I would check craigslist in your area. In the space type in sewing machines. Do you attend garage sales or resale shops?
Great places to find those featherweights. In our area, in DE, there are a lot listed, even featherweights and commercial machines. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

For a basic table (not a storage cabinet) I really like my SewEZI
http://www.seweziusa.com/?gclid=COub...FcS4wAodLv8A9A
Very sturdy. The design is well thought out. I sew in the dining room, so occasionally I need to vacate the premises. The table is portable, comes with its own bag, which makes moving it a breeze. I have a Viking Diamond, which is a pretty big machine and the table doesn't wiggle or dance.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:06 PM

Although I like the Koala, Horn or Arrow tables, they just don't seem worth the money to me. If I'm paying that much, I want wood, not wood particle board! I've also seen ones that are wood at quilt shows - they are gorgeous, but holy cow, that's my sewing budget for years and years.

In all honesty, I'd look at making one from a table, desk, or cabinet (which is what I did). There are several threads here that will give you ideas, also on Pinterest. I think you can end up with something much sturdier with a lot of room, fit to your needs. The costliest part of mine, and worth it, is the acrylic insert from DreamWorld. They have them made specifically for whatever model machine you have for a perfect fit.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:15 PM

best sewing table i ever had was the vintage dining table i my grandfather bought for me from a used furniture store. wish i still had it ..but it disapeared years ago on one of our many job related moves. so ..check used furniture stores or thrift shops for tables.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Are you looking for a permanent table or a portable? My Janome MC6600 came with a table. The machine fits into the table, but the table does not fold up. When I bought my Viking Topaz I bought the SewEZ portable table (when you buy it they ask you what machine you have and then provide a plexi piece to fit your machine). It is a very sturdy table - it is heavy but there are wheels at the end so you don't have to lift it much. There is a cover and it has a pocket to put the insert in. And I sometimes use the SewEZ with my Janome table when I need the additional support.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:36 PM

What kind of machine do you have? Before I had my Janome I had a Singer and just bought a cabinet for it.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:50 PM

If you were closer to the Front Range of Colorado, I could give you either a Horn or a Koala Lite - FREE
Old 01-28-2017, 03:54 PM

Joann's carries a well rated table for $99 right now. http://www.joann.com/homespun-gidget...8.html#start=1 I don't own it, but I have looked at this one repeatedly.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:58 PM

Depending on where you are in Nevada, I'd second the suggestion to look on Craigslist. In my area, there are empty (no machine in them) vintage cabinets some with drawers , fancier newer tables, and dining tables. I would search on just "sewing," that will pull up everything sewing related (plus cars that "run like a sewing machine"). But also search on "table" and "desk" for dining tables, wooden desks, computer desks, and others. And, surprisingly, some things that will pop up in the "Free" section.

Tate