Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Group at Work >

Sewing Group at Work

Sewing Group at Work

Old 04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Pam

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I've had several ladies at work ask me about teaching a beginning quilting class. As I had never taken one (I've been sewing since I was pre-teen and quilting for the last 10 years), I took a beginning class at my LQS, just to see how it's done. Since we will have our classes during lunch, which doesn't give us enough time to set up machines, etc., I'm going to bring one of my machines to demonstrate on, then let the ladies do "homework" and bring it in at the next class. If they have any questions, I'll leave my machine here and can give them help during the week. The goal will be for each person to create a quilt by the end of the classes, while learning to sew a good 1/4" seam, strip piecing, chain piecing, sashings, borders,layering and quilting. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?
Of course not! If they are interested, they will get it. Great idea.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:11 PM

It sounds like a fun time.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like so much fun. You have your own little guild. Great job.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I've had several ladies at work ask me about teaching a beginning quilting class. As I had never taken one (I've been sewing since I was pre-teen and quilting for the last 10 years), I took a beginning class at my LQS, just to see how it's done. Since we will have our classes during lunch, which doesn't give us enough time to set up machines, etc., I'm going to bring one of my machines to demonstrate on, then let the ladies do "homework" and bring it in at the next class. If they have any questions, I'll leave my machine here and can give them help during the week. The goal will be for each person to create a quilt by the end of the classes, while learning to sew a good 1/4" seam, strip piecing, chain piecing, sashings, borders,layering and quilting. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?
If you've bitten off more than you can chew, I'm in BIG trouble because that's basically the path I'm leading them down. Good luck to both of us. I posted my lessons 1 & 2 in my original message; if I create more, would you be interested in them? I'd be interested in anything you create!! We don't have to follow the same agenda but one of us might include something "important" that the other didn't think of.

How bad can we do? They'll learn something, if just not to be afraid of taking a class somewhere.

We laughed so hard Tuesday night, that made it more than worthwhile!! It also helped that we met after work so no real time crunch such as lunch time. Being a bit older, and a long time sewer, I have an extra machine that I can leave in work plus, at the recent Joann's sale, I duplicated enough basic tools that I don't have to lug anything back & forth. That's a big help.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:36 AM

This sounds like so much fun!!!
My co-worker and I share quilting and collaborated on making a quilt for a special student of ours. It is such a nice thing to share non-work related something. Great relationship building going on there!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:41 AM

There are mostly men in my profession so I don't get a chance to interact with too many women during working hours. This is a wonderful opportunity to do just that! Not to sound sexist, which I'm not, but I've found that groups of women create their own type of energy that can radiate out to do good things.

I'm really hoping that we reach the point where we can all contribute one or more blocks to create a quilt for a raffle here at work around Christmas time. That would be such fun!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 AM

'Virgin' quilters! How fun to be able to teach them correctly right from the beginning and to have so much fun. Enjoy this time with them.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Google Goddess

awesome, glad you are having fun!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Google Goddess

how many in your group, fun fun!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 AM

What fun you all had. I always enjoy quilting with others, too.