Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing help...not quilting >

sewing help...not quilting

sewing help...not quilting

Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 PM

So i really want to make my twins costumes for halloween this year and i am thinking either raggedy ann and andy or fred flinstone and wilma hehe.....so i can sew quilts till the cows come home and i can sew a pillowcase dress...i have even hand smocked a dress for my daughter but....clothes just give me a huge headache.....i dont want to buy a pattern.....which one of these would be easier to design without a pattern....any of you seamtresses out there who want to give me some advice i would love it....
Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 PM

I am not a seamtresses but I would say make fred and wilma flinstone would be easier. :wink:
Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Iv'e made Raggedy Ann & Andy. Pretty easy but I did use a pattern. Hancocks has all halloween patterns on sale.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 PM

I dressed my 3 (not triplets :lol: ) as Dorothy, Scarecrow and the Tin Man...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
So i really want to make my twins costumes for halloween this year and i am thinking either raggedy ann and andy or fred flinstone and wilma hehe.....so i can sew quilts till the cows come home and i can sew a pillowcase dress...i have even hand smocked a dress for my daughter but....clothes just give me a huge headache.....i dont want to buy a pattern.....which one of these would be easier to design without a pattern....any of you seamtresses out there who want to give me some advice i would love it....
Break down and buy a simple pattern------------maybe at a thrift store if you are avoiding the cost.

Although, Fred and Wilma would just be cloth wrapped and secured with tights and long sleeved t-shirts under.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 PM

My suggestion...Go to a thrift store and find clothing that can be embellished and go with it for raggedy ann and Andy...I needed a flower fairy costume for a 2 year old a couple of years ago...Bought a pretty pink and black dress for $2.99...made satin flower petals sewed them on a ribbon and added tulle and ribbon streamers, tied the ribbon ensemble over dress...added ribbon too a princess wand from the dollar tree, dollar tree wings...it was a costume to die for and I spent maybe $10.00...use your imagination :)
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Either really would be pretty easy, I made a Fred and Wilma and Barney and Betty several years ago for my neighbors (adults) to go to a costume party, they were really simple, no pattern needed, in fact it was before the pattern came out, save the dollars!!! You could also do the "Thing 1" "Thing 2" from Dr. Suess, I made that several years ago for a friends daughter and her friend, SUPER EASY!!! Have fun, my kids are now too old to wear costumes, but I've always had fun making them over the years, Crayons, Snowman, ice cream cone (yea, my step-son thought it would stump me, ha!!, little did he realize, it was just a challenge!).
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 PM

I have made my children (4) them Halloween costumes almost every year, Jasmine, clown, lion, frog prince, Dorothy, Glenda (lion again), witch, a devil, bride, pea pod, etc.
My best advice go buy a pattern. It's so much easier than trying to 'create' your own.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 PM

No pattern needed for Fred and Wilma. Just buy fake fur. Take a couple of paper grocery sacks. Cut them to lay flat. Draw the shape of the dress in a size to fit your kids. Be sure to add seam allowances. They don't need to be form fitting, so it won't be that tough. Cut out your paper pattern. Fit it to the kids. Make adjustments as needed. Lay it on the back of the fake fur. Cut around and sew.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 PM

Hobby lobby always has patterns for .99 cents.