Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing hexagons

Blog Entries

Sewing hexagons

Would someone please explain to me WHY I must use a paper foundation when cutting and making hexagons. Is is because of the bias edges?? Can I make them without the paper foundation?

www.inklingo.com there ya go.Look and read about this way. No paper. I have no connection,

Blog Entries
    What pattern are you doing? Are you hand piecing or machine piecing? If you are hand piecing I don't see why you can't just mark your 1/4 inch and go for it. If you plan on machine piecing, I can't see how you would use the paper foundation anyway.
    English Paper Piecing is just one way of sewing your hexagons together, it is a nice portable project to take with you, however if you prefer to just hand piece them, just starch the fabric well and handle them gently and you will be fine.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    Try making the hexes with paper and without. Do the one that you like the best. I don't use paper, I handstitch the hexes together using a 1/4" seam and keep adding as I go. No stitches show at all.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I am just sewing the hexies together with 1/4" seams - no marks, no paper and no thread showing. So far, so good. After the first one they are laying perfectly flat and that one was fixable.

Blog Entries
    What a great site! Thanks, will bookmark that one for sure!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I've never used a paper foundation for hexies. Don't know why you'd need to, either. I think the answer is, there is no "Must". Do what works for you.

No, you don't have to use papers. Try it without and see if you like it. I have done it with and without, and like the papers best, but its a personal prefrence. I don't have to worry about 1/4 in. seams, or marking the seams etc. Just works for me.

That is English paper piecing and is used by people who like that style. You can use any way you want.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Here's something you may want to check out. http://www.cindyblackberg.com/ I took a class from her at the International Quilt Festival a few years ago. She is a hand piecer and has stamp sets for fabric. Scroll to the bottom of the home page for the link for templates and stamps.