Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with knee lift and foot pedal >

Sewing with knee lift and foot pedal

Sewing with knee lift and foot pedal

Old 10-15-2015, 07:29 PM

I usually sew with my right foot. I read about concerns people will accidentally start sewing while operating the knee lift, but in the short time I've had my Bernina, I haven't had that problem. I learned to sew with my right foot & it's too much effort for me to now have to re-learn to precisely control the foot pedal with my left foot. On top of that, I spent a lot of time studying OSHA guidelines for ergonomic sewing stations to set everything up comfortably and it would be challenging to re-do that for my left foot.

But I know you are hardly the only one to see with you left foot & I agree the tiny cord on my 350 makes it nearly impossible to do that.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:40 AM

right foot right knee love the knee lift
Old 10-16-2015, 04:05 AM

Today I will look in the carry case for my knee lifter-I must be missing something great-and just have never known it. I have never felt the need to use it. I have a Singer 401 in a cabinet and use the knee control when I use it. I use my right foot to sew with my Bernina. I am not sure I could retrain myself at this late date.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:00 AM

My Janome came with a knee lift and my dealer swore I'd love it but I couldn't get used to it, it was just in my way and I could never remember to use it once I got going so I eventually gave up and stored it.

But I don't use just one foot to sew - when I'm sewing a lot my ankle & foot gets tired so I move the pedal over to the other foot and keep sewing. When I come back to the sewing station the pedal might be on the right or on the left, I just use it where it is until that side gets tired and then switch. Doesn't seem to make a whit of difference and I don't even think about it, my feet just automatically find the pedal and know what to do.

Maybe that comes from years of driving a stick? I'm used to working pedals with both feet.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:30 AM

When I took the class offered with my first Bernina, the instructor taught us the left foot control, right knee lift method, and I have sewn that way ever since. I have tried to use my Bernina right foot/right knee, but end up pressing with my foot when I should be pushing with my knee. However, if I am using one of my FWs, I usually use my right foot on the control.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:07 AM

My Viking lifts the foot a little when you stop sewing then lowers it when you start sewing. I love it. Nice when chain piecing.