Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine for a Beginner >

Sewing Machine for a Beginner

Sewing Machine for a Beginner

Old 06-20-2014, 07:43 PM

I also have a brother SQ9050 and love it. I have never sewn before and the machine was easy to figure out and has lots of features. The manual is easy to understand and also comes with a DVD.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

Chiming in again to say I have 3 different mechanical Brother machines that have not given me a bit of trouble and are not fussy about thread or anything else.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 PM

My sister bought the Brother sewing machine at Costco - she bought it years ago and it is still going strong. It came with the extension table and a walking foot, which I believe is a must now. I have a 64 year old Singer (15-91) that I learned to sew on, sewed clothes for me and my sisters when we were in high school. It is also going strong. It is in a cabinet, so when I tried to sew on a portable it just didn't work. It also didn't help that my 1973 Singer had plastic gears that were junk and was in the shop more than it sewed.

Until she knows for sure that she likes to sew, she should start either with a refurbished machine (providing you have a dealer you can trust) or check out the Brother machines.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:06 PM

It may be worth a look at your local Craigslist to see if you can find an older model machine and have it serviced. She would be able to get a nice machine for alot less than out of the box new.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:26 AM

I love my brother machines I have a cheapy that I use when my embroidery machine is in use. it is a very reliable machine and has speed control, stitch width, and a variety of stitches.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by JustJill View Post
I have a young friend who wants to learn to sew. She is ready to buy her first sewing machine. Her budget allows her to spend about $250. She wants to explore sewing, from making clothing to quilts. Do you have a favorite brand or model that you would recommend to a newbie?
Just a thought here. Younger sewists are so used to computers and ease of use. A newer sewing machine will have the automation they are used to.

I agree the older machines are well made, but sometimes the models with the front loading bobbin cases are a bear when they get a jam. And newer sewists will most likely have a jam or two. It could make it frustrating for them.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 AM

To keep within her budget she would probably be best looking for a decent second hand machine with more bells and whistles than she could get buying a new one. I just got my first ever sewing machine in April last year which was a Janome txl 607 and I have to say at that point I wouldn't have wanted anything more complicated and might have been less nervous about it if it had been a simpler model. With hindsight I wish I'd bought second hand for my first machine because if she gets the quilting bug she may find a smaller machine makes pivoting a quilt very difficult and may well want to get a larger one as soon as she can.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I would go to a sewing machine repair man or someone who takes in trade-ins. They will have good used ones and will probably recommend a good solid one, a work horse so to speak. Make sure it works good because if she gets a messed up one, she will think sewing is not for her. Good luck.
Good idea! I'd also check the used machines at the dealerships. That way she could get a better machine for less money. And at the dealerships they refurbish them so they should work really well.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 AM

I agree with checking out any dealers/repairmen in your area. Some people trade in their machines on a regular basis and you can get a lot more machine for the buck. The tech should have gone through any trade ins and made sure they work well. Happy shopping.