Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine for Beginning-ish Quilter. Which one? >

Sewing Machine for Beginning-ish Quilter. Which one?

Sewing Machine for Beginning-ish Quilter. Which one?

Old 09-21-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Sewing Machine for Beginning-ish Quilter. Which one?

Hi, Everyone,

I'm new to the thread and can't wait to read more. Learning a lot already. I'm a beginning-ish quilter--I've made half a dozen quilts over the course of as many years, but would like to invest more time and energy into my hobby. I've made three quilts entirely by hand and three others on a 1918 Singer sewing machine--one of the first portable, electronic models ever made (I bought her at a thrift store for $25 thirteen years ago). This old beast has been very good to me--but she's really loud, she vibrates, she weighs 45 pounds, and her tension control is iffy.

My budget is $500, give or take. My old Singer gave me a lot of good practice with the basics (she only had one stitch), so I'd like my next machine to be one that will take me to the next level (FMQ, machine applique, etc.). I live in a small space so a machine I can put away will be helpful.

The two models I've looked at so far are the Janome DC2030 and the Babylock Grace. Both are within my price range. Does anyone own either one of these models? Or know anything about similar models? Any other models I should look at? Is it essential I have dual feed? Is an attachable walking foot okay or do I really need to upgrade to a machine that has an attached one?

Though I've made a handful of quilts, I've never bought a new sewing machine before. My vintage singer is the equivalent to a bike with a single gear, so any advice is welcome!

Thank you!
Sabrina
Old 09-21-2013, 04:56 PM

I've owned a Kenmore, Janome MC3500, Janome DC3050, Singer, and Babylock Esante Ese2. The Kenmore I bought 26 years ago and still runs like a dream. The Janome MC3500 I bought about 10 years ago and love, love, love it. I cry when I have to leave it for a tune up. I bought my daughter the DC and she only used it a few times, not much into sewing, so it's now mine! lol. Love it too. The Babylock is a sewing / embroidery machine and I never really used the embroidery features so I sold it last year. I don't miss it.

I highly recommend the Janome. Today, I went and bought the walking foot and free motion foot but haven't tried them yet.

You have to fall in love with the machine, so don't be hasty when purchasing. I like a "heavy" machine and one that really grips the fabric, can turn corners easily, and smooth sews when slow or fast sewing. I haven't had any issues with my Janome's or Kenmore. The Singer is also a sturdy machine but how many can you use at one time?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 PM

Thanks, Nancy! That's really good advice. I've only been to one shop so far, where I got to test drive the Babylock and the Janome. There weren't that many differences between the two on paper, but the Janome just felt better. I've only just begun looking though!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:09 PM

Something else to consider with your budget is going to a licensed dealer shop. A quilt shop near me is a licensed Janome dealer and they recondition and warranty used machines. You might get more bang for your buck that way. I lucked into a used Janome MC 6600P for $350 that way. I love it.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:13 PM

Wow. That's great advice, thank you. There's a Janome dealer about half hour from me. I'll check them out.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

I answered in your other thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t230763.html

Edit: Just want to comment that $350 for a Janome 6600P was a *fabulous* deal!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 PM

I just purchased the Janome 6600P - Wow you really did get a deal, I am so happy for you. Also want to say how much I love the Janome. This is my second one I also have the 6260 QC.
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I answered in your other thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t230763.html

Edit: Just want to comment that $350 for a Janome 6600P was a *fabulous* deal!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:12 PM

I know Prism! I was thrilled. It had been well loved thought. The paint on the edge is really worn off.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM

My daughter loves her BL Grace but is the throat big enough for FMQ?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far. Since reading your post, Prism, I've been reading up on the Janome 6600P and it does look nice. And, you got a great deal. There's a Janome dealer nearby. Might have to try one out.