Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine broke today... >

Sewing Machine broke today...

Sewing Machine broke today...

Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM

The feed dogs won't come up or stay up on my sewing machine so I can't do straight stitching on it now and probably won't be able to get it fixed until November which is too late for all my Christmas projects. I am so depressed. So many projects to get done. Argh!! Tried to use my DH embroidery machine and all it does is beep at me after every 4 stitches. He just had it in the shop for that! So, guess I've got to try to find my old Brother and try to use that. Sorry to share my frustration, but I needed to get that out. It's been a horrendous day as you can imagine! Maybe everything will be free motion from now on! Now that should be interesting!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
The feed dogs won't come up or stay up on my sewing machine so I can't do straight stitching on it now and probably won't be able to get it fixed until November which is too late for all my Christmas projects. I am so depressed. So many projects to get done. Argh!! Tried to use my DH embroidery machine and all it does is beep at me after every 4 stitches. He just had it in the shop for that! So, guess I've got to try to find my old Brother and try to use that. Sorry to share my frustration, but I needed to get that out. It's been a horrendous day as you can imagine! Maybe everything will be free motion from now on! Now that should be interesting!
That doesn't sound like a great day. Sorry!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:36 PM

I feel your pain. a couple of months ago my computerized Brother bit the dust while trying to finish up my xmas gifts. but I did find my older Brother and have been quilting away. saving for the new machine is going slow but at least I can still quilt. so find your old Brother and get back to quilting.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles, it sounds like the moral to the story is don't get rid of the old Brothers.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Becky Crafts, Take the needle plate off and clean the feed dogs well. Some times there will be a tiny piece of thread caught under them. I hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM

I feel your pain. A couple of years ago I had my 2 machines in for a tune-up. I waited 3 weeks and finally called to see how much longer it would be before they were done. She said she didn't know :shock: so I went out to pick them both up, the next day.

Then I discovered the old Singer machines from the 40's and 50's. Now I am hooked on the vintage machines and good thing about them is that once you get them cleaned up and oiled they very rarely have any major problems that you can't fix yourself.

Come on over and join everyone in the Vintage Sewing Machine section (http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013) and learn about how wonderful the vintage machines can be. The best part is you can pick some up, at really reasonable prices, on your local Craigslist.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 PM

Hey Becky, I agree with what Boopers said--clean the feed dogs--probably something in it. You probably wore the poor baby out with all those beautiful projects you've been working on lately. Wish we lived closer, I'd loan you one of my vintage machines--they almost never break and if they do it's always something YOU or hubby can fix!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

What a rotten day! Hope tomorrow is better. Nothing worse then having sewing to do and no machine. I have a back-up machine and when all else fails...my trusty treadle will get it done. I call her "Old Clunkie" 'cause she does make a bit of noise when I get her going at warp speed. Good exercise for the legs though.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 AM

I'm so sorry :( You definitely should either post on freecycle to look for a back up or hit a few second hand stores. My local thrift stores almost always have an army of older machines for less than $20. It's so much better than waiting til November to sew. I know I could not wait that long!!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
:cry: Oh what a terrible day, definitely time to hit the Internet and thrift shops and buy yourself a lovely reliable vintage machine as a backup IMO