Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: which sewing machine to buy

this is new for me so here goes I received my first sewing machine as a gift when I graduated from elementary school in 1970 a Brothers machine in a wooden cabinet no decision making in that choice and then a couple of years ago my husband came home with a simplicity denim star machine for me as a surprise again no decision making with this choice. Now a friend is asking for my advice on purchasing a machine for herself I don't have a clue what to tell her. This will be her first machine for simple straight lines sewing, simple repairs and hopefully easy projects and then maybe a table runner. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    thanks for your help

Blog Entries
    There are lots of pro/cons available in the "search" at the top of this page. type in a machine brand or model and see what comes up. Happy searching:)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I honestly wouldn't know where to begin.
    But I would want anyone to get a good machine that will make them WANT to sew :)
    Check out the seardh option for sewing machines. You may find something OR maybe you and your friend could go shopping to look???

A friend of mine is just starting out to sew. She bought a decent Brother machine from Walmart.com and has been happy with it. I have a Janome and love it. I think that if she goes out and looks at machines, she'll be happy with whatever she decides to get. I wouldn't go top of the line and I wouldn't get a bargain basement machine either ;)

Best advise I could give, is to purchase where there is support!

Blog Entries
    I got a Viking at Jo-Ann's and I love it.

I would suggest that she makes sure it has a needle up/needle down option......

Blog Entries
    I suggest finding a dealer or two and let them show you what they have to offer in her price range. Also check patternreview.com for reviews of different sewing machines. I purchased a Brother Innovis 2000 in November and love it, and the best part is I got 5 years parts and labor warranty from the dealer free.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue
    Best advise I could give, is to purchase where there is support!
    ditto !!