Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Dilema >

Sewing Machine Dilema

Sewing Machine Dilema

Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM

I'm so aggravated :x I ordered a singer sewing machine from HSN (The Professional Handpicked by Martha Stewart) on Dec. 13 and yesterday Dec. 29 while sewing my thread kept braking, and breaking, and breaking, then finally the bobbin got tangled. I slid the cover to the bobbin back and started untangling the thread (non forcefully, just as normal) and the bobbin case just popped right out.... After about an hour and a half of trying to put it back in and reading the manual I gave up. I tried again today and even talked to singer, thought maybe it was something I was doing wrong........ Called HSN to return it, they were very nice and very helpful. First I just wanted to exchange it for another but after hanging up I read the reviews, and apparently this machine has lots of bobbin and thread tension problems. The overall rating was a 4.0 which is what I noticed when ordering. Needless to say, I called back and told them I would just like to have a refund, and again they were very helpful. The part that aggravates me the most is that I really liked the machine :cry:
LESSON LEARNED: Read the customer reviews on HSN

Thanks for letting me vent. I know the frustration with this dilema is something only my fellow quilting friends could truly understand. lol
Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

Angela, I've heard nothing but horror stories about new Singers. They were bought out and are not made like the old ones (which I absolutely love)
Glad you got your money back. I can just picture Martha sewing on one lol :D:D:D
She is talented for sure but so annoying! HA
Old 12-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Angela, I've heard nothing but horror stories about new Singers. They were bought out and are not made like the old ones (which I absolutely love)
Glad you got your money back. I can just picture Martha sewing on one lol :D:D:D
She is talented for sure but so annoying! HA
I love the old singers as well. My mom's old singer machine lived to be 25 years old. Totally agree with you about Martha. I should have mentioned it was the machine that caught my attention, not Martha. :)
Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Singers aren't what they used to be.
I think Martha Stewart puts her name on products for the money paid her.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Martha lost all credibility in my mind the time I saw her trying to use a hand saw on a project. She crossed her arms so she could use the saw in her right hand to saw on the outer side of her left hand. Just think a sec to picture that.
I decided she'd never done anything like that before.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Martha lost all credibility in my mind the time I saw her trying to use a hand saw on a project. She crossed her arms so she could use the saw in her right hand to saw on the outer side of her left hand. Just think a sec to picture that.
I decided she'd never done anything like that before.
Martha lost all credibility to me when she went to jail for such a stupid reason.

That part about the machine didn't impress me one bit. I included that to let everyone know which one it was. I thought it would be easier then putting a number :)
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

Yeah, I didn't think Martha had anything to do with your decision but I couldn't get the image of her sewing on a not well made machine out of my head hahahaha
Like I said- she annoys me! HA
Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

I'm sorry the machine wasn't at all what you wanted. I hope you find another that works much better.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 PM

I was a Singer fanatic until I bought a Futura embroidery machine (also on HSN)

Darn thing needed a new bobbin case with only a couple of dozen designs completed. :( I was so disappointed.

I sent it in once for repair while it was under warranty, but it sure isn't fun to use it any more. Thread and stabilizers and designs and fabrics are expensive enough without adding a $45 bobbin case to the operating expenses for every 20-30 designs!

It would take a LOT to convince me to buy a new Singer. I have 20-some-odd vintage Singers, but any new machines I buy will be Brothers.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 PM

so sorry