Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine for Free Motion Quilting >

Sewing Machine for Free Motion Quilting

Sewing Machine for Free Motion Quilting

Old 09-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Hey! I'm thinking about buying a new sewing machine so I can do free motion quilting. Unfortunately, I have to consider the price in this decision! So do any of you know of a good inexpensive (no more than $200) sewing machine, with feed dogs that will drop? Are any of the Brothers good for this? I haven't done the free motion quilting before but I'm really anxious to try it! Thanks for any help and info you can throw my way!!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Well, I use my Elna at home, but I bought a Brother at Walmart for $139, it has feed dogs that drop, several stitches etc. I take it to classes and when I travel to see my mom and sister. I took a machine quilting class with it and have completed a few table toppers on it and I was pleased with the results. It's not my Elna, but for the money it's a great little machine.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Are you asking about a new machine, or used? I am planning to begin learning to do free-motion quilting myself, but it is my understanding that any machine will work with the right foot. Even if your feed dogs don't drop, you can cover them. The old singers had feed dog covers to use when darning, using the buttonhole attachment, or free-motion quilting.

The machine I plan to use for learning about free motion quilting is a Singer 301. Fortunately, this one has feed dogs which do drop. I got this machine at a yard sale, and it's a great machine.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by mom2suki
Hey! I'm thinking about buying a new sewing machine so I can do free motion quilting. Unfortunately, I have to consider the price in this decision! So do any of you know of a good inexpensive (no more than $200) sewing machine, with feed dogs that will drop? Are any of the Brothers good for this? I haven't done the free motion quilting before but I'm really anxious to try it! Thanks for any help and info you can throw my way!!
I love my Janome sewist 521. It cost me about 150, I think I saw it priced at about 200.00 new.

My daughters babylock cost 100.00 on sale and brand spanking new and it's feed dogs drop.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

In that price range I would look at a Brother or a Janome. Today I found out that a really good Janome will be $400 for the holidays, but that is more than you are talking about. I personally think everyone in the market for a new machine should go and look around at what is available, then go home and check for info on the internet. But that is just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:13 PM

I like Babylock machines. Also can get a good used Bernina for about that amount which also FMQs great. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SassySewer53
I like Babylock machines. Also can get a good used Bernina for about that amount which also FMQs great. Good luck!
It must depend on your area, because you won't find either of these macines in my area for that amount of money.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 PM

Go to your local quilt shop that sales machine. See if they have a good used one. Which ever one you get take a small sandwich and try out the machine. Good Luck
Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Hadn't thought of a used machine, but that might work too! I will check with the LQS next week and see what she might be able to tell me. Thanks again...I just love this board!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Power Poster

the brother machines from walmart range in price from about $89-$159 are all pretty good machines. they are user friendly, do a good job, handle lots of use. they do wear out (depending on how much abuse you put them through) but the ones we had at the sewing school held up to tons of abuse from many different people using them..i only had to replace one in 3 years, and it was the one the kids fought over the most so was used the most. i think i even did get it fixed and gave it to one of the kids who needed a machine at home. so i always recommend the brother machines for a second machine, or for newbies to learn on. they are very affordable and hold up well (and i believe will last longer than 3 years used by one person instead of 20+) but they will hold up long enough for you to decide you want to upgrade to a fancier machine.