Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which sewing machine? Laura Ashley or Horizon? >

Which sewing machine? Laura Ashley or Horizon?

Which sewing machine? Laura Ashley or Horizon?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Which sewing machine? Laura Ashley or Horizon?

I had decided to buy the Horizon, but then my dealer sugggested the Laura Ashley...her favorite she says...but she would order the Horizon for me to try again, but she seemed anxious for me to take the Laura Ashley home to use pover the weekend...she has three on hand and wants to sell them....has anyone had experience with either of those machines?....This has got to be my last sewing machine...I have a 1230 Bernina from the 80's and a Baby lock quilter professional which I use for FM....I am trading in a Pfaff Smarter because of difficulty changing the bobbin...too small an area underneath for my arthritic hands...I appreciate any comments that you younger women might have...Thanks...Hattie
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM

I love my Horizon, it has heaps of space and more stitches than I will ever need, great lighting. I FMQ all my own quilts and the Horizon has lots of room.
I have never heard of a Laura Asley so I can't comment on that machine
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Never heard of the Laura Ashley but Janomes are great.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 PM

I love my horizon, lots of bells and whistles and has a drop in bobbin so you wont have to worry about your arthritis. Everything is easy to get at and comes with the big sewing table. I think this will be my last sewing machine purchase.

Sue
Old 11-22-2011, 08:11 PM

thanks for the input...the Laura Ashley is made by Brother....the Horizon is by Janome....It's so easy to be influenced by an enthusiastic dealer who wants to sell what she has on hand....I think that I will stay with my first plan and have her order the Horizon and be happy....thank you
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 PM

I've only had a Brother sewing machine (purchased by my husband, not me) for a short while, it's an embroidery machine so I don't, and won't, use it often. It's a lower price model and well ... looks and feels like a lower price model.

Other items I've owned made by Brother are printers, faxes, phones, calculators, and possibly more stuff. Overall the Brother "brand" does not impress me ... cheap plastic 'stuff'.

I would love to have the Horizon. I'll have to make do with my Janome 6600 (which I adore!!!). You'll regret not having the extra harp space that the Horizon offers, and if you haven't tried the accufeed (and I don't know if the Brother has something similar), you'll love that as well!!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:57 AM

oh you will love your new horizon.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 AM

I have the older version of the Laura Ashley and absolutely love my machine, the AHA feature is what sets it apart, you can change threads, fabrics, thicknesses and that will adjust the tension for you, you never have to ever touch the setting to often which ,akes stitch quality on FMQ excellent. It's definitely worth trying
Old 11-23-2011, 06:44 AM

Love my Horizon. Have never tried the Laura Ashley, but if you can get a Horizon, that's the way I would go.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM

I recently saw the Laura Ashley. It looks like a very nice machine, lots of nice features. I have an older Brother ULT 2002 that i love. It is a real workhorse.
That said, I think you are right about the dealer. It wouldn't hurt to try one out, but don't give in to the pressure if your heart is set on the janome