Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine needle question >

Sewing machine needle question

Sewing machine needle question

Old 06-11-2015, 04:07 AM

My mom had a white machine that must have been from the 40s, and it's needle was threaded differently from how my current machines are threaded. I can't remember if it was side to side or back to front, but definitely different. I have no idea what kind of needles it used.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

My 301A threads from side to side. I use Schmetz, they are just inserted with the flat side in a different position. I have been using Schmetz since the 70's. They were recommended by my Viking dealer. I think the important thing is to change your needle more often, because they can become dull.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 AM

Superior needles are Organ needles. Janome needles are also Organ needles. The Titanium do last longer. I have JANOME MACHINES and Babylock sergers. I use Organ in all of them with no problems. I have also used Schmetz in the Janome machines with no problem. Normally, thread breakage is a NON match of the needle to the thread you are using. Other breakage can be tension, hang up of thread or just poor thread. I had a friend that was using serger thread for her quilt and was wondering why her thread was breaking. Serger thread is NOT meant for sewing. Not enough plys to make it strong for sewing use. Go to Superior Thread site and see if the DVD called Threadology is still free. It is a great video that tells you all about needles, thread and machine tension.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:34 AM

I was told by my service man to use only Singer needles in Singer machines as they are a mm. shorter than Schmetz and the Schmetz needle might damage the bobbin carriage or something else underneath the needle.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:02 AM

I use Schmetz for all my DSM machines: Singer, Brother, FW, Bernina, treadle. My Tiara II takes a special needle for long arm machines.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:50 AM

I have Pfaff, Brother, Singer, and Babylock machines. None of them seem to care what brand needle I use. I buy mostly schmetz because they are readily available locally. LyndaOH mentioned her mother's White threading differently. So does my antique Singer, but it's only because the needle is inserted differently. My DDIL was having a problem with needles in her new Singer, but it was because she was inserting the needle wrong. Be sure you follow your machine's instructions for which direction the flat side of the needle goes on.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by melprotsman View Post
Don't think the brands matter EXCEPT for Singer. Singer machines want Singer needles.
My Singer machines are very happy with Schmetz and Organ needles. I sew with real antique Singers, most are treadles and hand crank machines. My favorites are Singer 115 and 66-1, 101 years old. I have newer Pfaffs and a 23 year old Bernina 1031, they like the needles I use.
Sharon
Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 AM

As to older machines - before the advent of Japanese made machines after WW2 - most US manufactures used different needles in their machines. In the earlier 1900's, BOYE sold 15 different styles of needles, and they were not interchangeable between machines of different Mfg. Over time, because of the popularity of Singer, a few other companies adopted the same needle size. By the 50's - it was hard to find a machine that did not take the "Singer" style needle. Same with attachments, Singer was almost the only US manufacturer that used side clamp feet - and now very few domestic machines use any other method.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:59 AM

I've found Organ works well in my vintage machines (Post WWII Japanese - mostly badged as Kenmore). I'd heard really good things about Superior needles but since they are also Organ I just stick with them. I don't have any Singer machines so don't know about them.

As to the titanium needles - worth every penny! They last and last.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:05 PM

I buy Schmetz Microtex 70 needles for all my piecing, in packs of 100 and change needles every time I empty a bobbin (I have a Bernina 780 which uses bobbins equivalent to M size bobbins). But I also love the Schmetz quiltng needles in my quilting machine.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

I have several vintage singers including a 301 and a 401 and several mechanical Brothers. I use all kinds of needles in all of them and I've never had a problem. When I did use a service person (several over the years before I learned to service them myself- thank you all the helpers on this board) not one ever mentioned a kind of needle. Just to be sure to put it in right and thread the right way.