Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine needle question >

Sewing machine needle question

Sewing machine needle question

Old 06-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Default Sewing machine needle question

If I am using the proper size and style of needle for my project -

Does it matter what brand of needle I am using? Singer, Schmetz, or Organ? (There are probably other brands - those are the ones I am aware of)

More specifically - do particular machines prefer a given brand of needle?

Also - the machines seem to have changed somewhat over the years - so would a needle that fit a machine made in 1930 fit a machine made in 2010? Even if the manual says that the "style" is the same?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If I am using the proper size and style of needle for my project -

Does it matter what brand of needle I am using? Singer, Schmetz, or Organ? (There are probably other brands - those are the ones I am aware of)

More specifically - do particular machines prefer a given brand of needle?

Also - the machines seem to have changed somewhat over the years - so would a needle that fit a machine made in 1930 fit a machine made in 2010? Even if the manual says that the "style" is the same?
Don't think the brands matter EXCEPT for Singer. Singer machines want Singer needles.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 AM

I can only partially answer your questions, but I'll give it a shot.

I don't think that in general specific brands matter unless you have a machine that is particularly fussy. I have several Janomes and a Juki, and I've never had an issue with using any of the brands you mentioned. My Juki came with Organ needles and my Janomes came with Janome branded needles which I'm sure are made for them by one of the brands. I generally buy Schmetz because it's readily available locally.

I haven't noticed that one brand holds up better than another.

My mom had a white machine that must have been from the 40s, and it's needle was threaded differently from how my current machines are threaded. I can't remember if it was side to side or back to front, but definitely different. I have no idea what kind of needles it used.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 AM

I have a brother 1500s and it seems pretty picky about needles. I tried a superior titanium needle in it, and while it felt much smoother, it caused thread breakage problems. So, for the brother, I stick with organ and it's happy. My old bernina 930 record seems happy with whatever is in reach as long as it's appropriate for the thread.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:40 AM

It used to be that they were all pretty much the same thing. Singer, as a company, has gotten sloppy. The Singer needles are not always consistent. I wouldn't use them, even in a Singer. I personally just use Schmetz or Bernina, which both have the 130 705H configuration. All brands of domestic sewing machines that we service, get a Schmetz needle to sew off with. That includes everything from a treadle to the big embroidery machines. The only exception is the Singer slant needle and some sergers.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM

I always use Singer needles in my 401A and universal for my Brother. That is what my service people have told me to do.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 1530 and I use Schmetz needles. I do have a variety of types so I use the correct needle for what I am doing. (ex:use metallic needle with metallic thread)
Old 06-09-2015, 12:00 PM

I only have Janome machines so I use either Janome needles or Organ needles. I buy 100 needles at a time off J hittle Co. and they are really inexpensive. Never had a problem
Old 06-09-2015, 12:37 PM

My daughter's singer machine accepts schmetz needles just fine. I use schmetz but I recently switched to organ. For knits (clothes) i use singer because it's always worked best for me.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

I have the Brother 1500 and only use Organ Titanium coated needles. I use them in all my machines, Bernina, Janome, and Singer.