Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Needles >

Sewing Machine Needles

Sewing Machine Needles

Old 12-23-2010, 02:02 PM

I am fairly new to quilting...Bought myself a Janome 6600. Which I Love. But I'm not quite sure of what needles to use for sewing in general,,,,,which size to use for quilting, etc. Can someone help me with this issue. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you might have for me.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Banned

I use a size 12 and buy Superior Threads titanium. I've found they last considerably longer than others
http://www.superiorthreads.com
Old 12-23-2010, 02:12 PM

Regular machine needles (11-14 size) will work for general sewing. Buy a reputable brand (I like Schmetz or Organ or Superior) and avoid the $ store cheapies. Change your needle after each project or about 10 hours of sewing time even if you haven't broken it. More tension problems are caused by needles with burrs or nicked off points than by incorrect tension settings. If you want to do other types of stitching you can buy quilting needles, top stitch needles or titanium needles for longer wear. There are lots of options out there.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:14 PM

for general sewing, I like an 80/12 needle. I usually buy Sharps just because I sew with batiks a lot and since they have a tighter weave, I like a little bit sharper needle. Just to clarify, in case you don't know... Sharps is the type of needle, not the brand. I also usually buy Organ or Schmitz brand.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 PM

thanks so much for your help. I now know how important it is to have a good needle. And I did not know that I should change my needle after each project. Wish there was a book out there someplace that told me that stuff. Sure appreciate your input.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Molly B
thanks so much for your help. I now know how important it is to have a good needle. And I did not know that I should change my needle after each project. Wish there was a book out there someplace that told me that stuff. Sure appreciate your input.
I do not change for each project. My last titanium lasted over a year, sewing well. It went in October '09 and was changed, though still sewing fine, in Dec '10.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:55 PM

I use Schmetz or Organ. I like 80/12 for regular sewing and 75/10 for embroidery. I like quilting needles for FMQ. I will try some Titanium soon though.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Molly B
This board is better than any book-any question you ask will be answered usually by many experienced quilters and given many different opinions based on their experie nce. I learn just by reading other's posts like yours!!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:49 PM

Good needles are very nice to have, but I just bought myself something (haven't tried it yet). Its a needle sharpener. I'll try to explain it. Its like this pad that you sew on and it sharpens your needles (or at least is suppose to).

I also, have the 6600 and love it, love it!!! Have fun with your new baby.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks, I am having a ball,,,just forgeting to make meals tho. where did you find a needle sharpener anyhow? Sounds like something I would like.