Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine problems, at a standstill..Help! >

sewing machine problems, at a standstill..Help!

sewing machine problems, at a standstill..Help!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 AM

Default sewing machine problems, at a standstill..Help!

I have a brother LX2500. The top thread keeps breaking when sewing. I have adjusted the tension and rethreaded it so many times. When I pull the thread it feels like it is catching on something and you can see the thread is weakinging. This happens even when tension is turned all the way down. I have been dealing with this through my whole sewing of the baby quilt Im making. It is driving me nuts. I will not be able to finish my binding though because you need a continous stitch for that. ugggh, so frustrated. Please any ideas to help me would be much appreciated.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 AM

I'm not sure what kind of thread you are using but try putting the spool of thread in a cup on the table and bringing it up over the machine. Sometimes it's something as minor as this that affects the thread and tension. I have several threads that I have to do this with.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 AM

I'm not sure what kind of thread you are using but try putting the spool of thread in a cup on the table and bringing it up over the machine. Sometimes it's something as minor as this that affects the thread and tension. I have several threads that I have to do this with.
Wouldnt this allow the thread to unravel? Since the spool is not sitting on the post anymore?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by DawnA View Post
I have a brother LX2500. The top thread keeps breaking when sewing. I have adjusted the tension and rethreaded it so many times. When I pull the thread it feels like it is catching on something and you can see the thread is weakinging. This happens even when tension is turned all the way down. I have been dealing with this through my whole sewing of the baby quilt Im making. It is driving me nuts. I will not be able to finish my binding though because you need a continous stitch for that. ugggh, so frustrated. Please any ideas to help me would be much appreciated.
Try pulling the thread at different points on your threading. This may tell you where the catching is occuring. If it is at the tension disc, try cleaning between the discs. Have you tried changing needles? Sometimes a needle will have a burr the catches the thread. If it is the tension discs and cleaning doesn't help, you may need to replace the tension assembly. If you can have it checked out by a good repairman you probably should. Ask for a loaner while it is in the shop to finish your quilt. Or perhaps you could borrow a machine from a friend to finish the quilt. You probably need to get a backup machine for times like this. Although, if you lived close, I'd be happy to let you borrow one of mine.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Wouldnt this allow the thread to unravel? Since the spool is not sitting on the post anymore?
No. Try it and you will see.

Have you checked the spool of thread to see if there is a nick in the spool? Some spools have a slit to hold the cut end of the thread in place for storage, and that slit can be a problem. If there is a slit or nick, try putting the spool on the post with that slit up rather than down.

Have you tried changing the needle? Sometimes the needle is bad. Also have you lifted out the needle plate and checked for lint underneath? Lint accumulation can cause problems.

Especially if you have ever broken a needle in the machine, there can be a burr or nick in the hole of the needle plate. This can be sanded down (carefully) with some emery paper from the hardware store.

What brand thread are you using?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 AM

Pull out the manual and double check that you're threading it correctly, too. Sometimes it's the simplest stuff that gives us the most grief.

Janet
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post

I do this all the time with cone threads as I don't have a cone spool holder. It works wonderfully!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Have you tried just re-threading the machine? Sometimes that is what makes my machine act up.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:16 AM

The same thing happened to my brother. After bringing it in to the repair shop 4 or 5 times, each time claiming it was fixed, I brought it into another repair shop. There was some plastic piece that was tearing the thread. It had to be filed down. I believe it was in the area above the needle. This occurred right before Christmas last year so my DH said to go buy another machine. Which I did! Bought an Elna and love it! Good luck with your machine.