Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Purchasing VENT >

Sewing Machine Purchasing VENT

Sewing Machine Purchasing VENT

Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 AM

This type of thing happens in other situations as well, as we all know! Years back, in work, I asked someone what type of computer they were using (I had to supply data) and he responded "Oh, just the standard computer." Huh? If there's a standard computer that handles everything, I want one! Too funny.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 AM

the sad part is that they let these kind breed... ha ha...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I keep a piece of fabric and spool of thread in the glove compartment of my car just in case I find a machine I want to try out---especially when I'm out garage saling.
smart lady!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
the sad part is that they let these kind breed... ha ha...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 AM

I find it frustrating to look on Craigslist and find that they not only don't know the model of the sewing machine but they also don't include pictures to see what they are selling. (How crazy is that...to post an ad but to not tell you anything about the machine or post a picture with it. It would be like someone selling a car in the paper and stating..."car for sale" without giving any other information.

I love the vintage machines and enjoy my model 15 treadle. I do have to laugh at the people who are selling their machines on craigslist. They don't know anything about the machines but they have such inflated prices that they make me laugh. Sometimes you'll read on Craigslist about a Singer model 66 (very common model) that they want to sell for ...$5000; or $4000;...on down to $1000. They are usually worth about $30 - $150 depending on their cabinet if they are a red-eye or not.

One guy, who was selling a sewing machine on craigslist (he didn't know the model number) made the comment..."don't offer me any low prices because I know that these machines are going for high prices.

For years, vintage Singers were not a collector's item because they were such a common machine. (You usually found them in someone's barn or garage and could pick them up for $15 - $30. I think sewers / quilters are the ones who can really appreciate the stability and the staying power of the machine.

Yes, I collect vintage Singers...but that is because I love sewing on them. (MY first memories of my Grandmother are of her sewing on her black straight stitch Singer.) :-)

Good luck in finding the model 15 that you are looking for.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM

I had trouble finding that machine too. Took me a while, but I got it. I feel your pain having gone through the same thing, in dealing with sellers on CL & ebay who just really don't know a thing about what they are selling. I got mine for $20. DH couldn't get the money out of his wallet fast enough. He was very happy for me to complete my collection of Singers.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KatFish
I got mine for $20. DH couldn't get the money out of his wallet fast enough.
Ha, ha! This made me laugh...

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. Dealing with these folks can be frustrating.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM

lol