Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Purchasing VENT >

Sewing Machine Purchasing VENT

Sewing Machine Purchasing VENT

Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I've been looking around for a Singer 15 in decent shape that is within my price range. Isn't it amazing how many NON sewers have sewing machines for sale? They must either find them in grandma's estate or pick them up at garage sales or something, because most of the people selling have no idea what they are talking about! Getting vital information out of them is like talking to an alien.

I found a listing on Craigslist, but the lister couldn't say what the model was. So I asked him to email me some pictures. Well, he didn't know how to upload pictures... but would send some in the mail. I told him before he went to that trouble, try and find the serial # for me. So he emails me back the number on the motor! Okay, send the photos of the machine, I say... Yesterday I got the envelope in the mail and in it was ONE (1) photo of a machine cabinet with the machine tucked inside, out of sight! How dense is that??? I am frustrated and giving up on this guy.

The other thing that drives me crazy is sellers offering a video of the machine running, and when you watch it they either just step on the pedal, full speed, with no thread or fabric in the machine, or they have a piece of fabric set up and just let it run through with no hands guiding it! Obviously, not a sewing person. I shudder to buy from these people because in their ignorance they probably have hurt the machine.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Just because a person has a garage doesn't mean they know how to drive. Most of these people have probably inherited the machines or they were left behind in a divorce. You can't really blame them for their lack of knowledge but yes, it always frustrating to try to deal with someone that has no idea what they're talking about or what they're doing.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Yes, but look at the bright side... These people don't know anything about the machine so you can get a really good deal.

I would avoid any seller where I couldn't physically go and test drive the machine myself.

You should also try your local goodwill or thrift shop. They often get machines as well. Go with fabric and thread so you can test it there.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 AM

I keep a piece of fabric and spool of thread in the glove compartment of my car just in case I find a machine I want to try out---especially when I'm out garage saling.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 AM

I try my machine at the shop AFTER its tuneup Take exactly what am sewing at home. Sometimes he just smiles at goes gets his tools Not the same as him sewing on a piece of felt!! But your right sometimes is a great deal if they don't know what they got!!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 AM

raptureready, I love your idea of taking fabric an thread with you in the car. Guess i will have to do that even though I have nver bought a machine from a garage sale there is always a first time.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I had to laugh when I read your post because our exeprience has been just the same. And you are right it is possible to ruin a machine like that and many are because people advertise them as heavy duty and ignorant people try to make sheep skin booties and other multiple layers of who knows what items on them and when they break the machine they try to pass it off to you.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
raptureready, I love your idea of taking fabric an thread with you in the car. Guess i will have to do that even though I have nver bought a machine from a garage sale there is always a first time.
If you try them out you can see if it runs and also if it doesn't run well (and you know it's just a matter of adjusting the tension or cleaning) you can offer a much lower price and usually buy one for a little of nothing.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 AM

Raptureready, that's so clever of you! As a nurse, I have things in my purse and car that others wouldn't, but I never thought of that. What I hate is when they swear a machine is in excellent working order despite not knowing how to run it. I recently asked someone selling a not so old, high end machine, where it was made ( which is on the label with the serial number) and she first answered that it was made where they are all made! She did later answer that, but I feel your pain. Vintage and used machine shopping is just as tricky as new machine shopping, just different.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I found the non sewers think any old machine is antique and worth a fortune.