Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine service >

Sewing Machine service

Sewing Machine service

Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Default Sewing Machine service

How often do you get your sewing machine serviced and cleaned by a professional?

I've had my Viking Mega Quilter 9x6 for about 10 years and have never had it serviced. It runs fine but I'm thinking it might be worth it to have the insides cleaned and oiled.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 AM

Hi:
I have a Pfaff and I had mine 14 years and I had to get it professionely cleaned last month. It got so I could not turn the wheel and so I took it in. It runs beautiful now I would recommend getting it cleaned.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

​I only take my Bernina in if there is a problem.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:10 AM

I had my Mega Quilter serviced last year, first time in 12 years.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:57 AM

I had my Viking Platinum serviced for the first time after about 10 years. Didn't have an issue at the time just thought I probably should. That was several years ago now....
Old 02-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I only take my Bernina in if there is a problem.
I took my Bernina regularly until my 2nd service policy expired and the store couldn't sell me another. Since then, it's on its own - unless something goes wrong. I clean and oil it with almost every bobbin change.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I think some of the newer machines need more frequent servicing. My Bernina 1230 could probably use professional cleaning and servicing every 10 years; however, I do not use her as heavily as some sewers. If I did a lot of sewing on her every day, I would probably take her in every 5 years or more frequently. Initially I took her in every year, as recommended when I purchased her. However, the last time I did that it cost my about $150 and I noticed that the technician had not even reset the upper tension to factory settings -- which he would have needed to do in order to test out all the features of the machine. I couldn't tell a difference in how clean the machine was either, because its innards were very clean when I took it in (because I was meticulous about cleaning). That's when I realized I was just throwing money away. After 15 years, however, my baby doesn't do one of the stitches correctly, plus I can see lint buildup inside the machine where I can't reach. So it definitely needs cleaning and servicing. It's just hard to give her up for that long......
Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

my neighbor does her own and has for decades. Her daughter has a machine exactly like my 2662. Got it from the same place as I did. Daughter was having some trouble with hers and since it was under warranty, she took it to them for repair. They only serviced the older machines. Had to be sent to the manufacturer by the owner. Her mother "had at it' and runs smooth. DAughter never cleaned after using it. The only type of problem I ever have with it is due to "user" error.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:13 PM

Of course they said I should have it serviced every year, but for the price of having it cleaned yearly I buy a second machine after about six years. I don't want it to end up in a landfill because I didn't take care of it, but I don't think it really needs it yearly. Every three or four years seems to be enough, and from the other posts so far, maybe even that is more than needed.

If a machine is used a lot or not used much, it probably needs more frequent servicing than one that is used a little regularly..
Old 02-21-2017, 01:13 PM

When the only machine I had was the Bernina Artista 180, I used to take it in every year for servicing. Now that I have other machines that I piece on, I take it in about every 18 - 24 months. I plan to get the vintage machines serviced about every other year depending on how much use they've had.