Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sewing machine

My MIL's sewing machine just died. She was wondering what type of machine to buy now. She does some quilting and mending of jeans etc. I have a Bernina 445 but she is not looking to spend that much. What would you recommend? I think she would like to sat under $500.00. She would just like the basics. Any help would be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by PALS65
    My MIL's sewing machine just died. She was wondering what type of machine to buy now. She does some quilting and mending of jeans etc. I have a Bernina 445 but she is not looking to spend that much. What would you recommend? I think she would like to sat under $500.00. She would just like the basics. Any help would be wonderful.
    I ask the board the same question when my friend was going to buy me one well I got a brother SE 350 cost between 300.00-350.00 i research the internet about the prices and our sewing center had the same prices it is a sewing/embroidery sewing machine it is nice and simple with features that look complicated but it is not i posted a pic on the board do the search for the se 350 sewing machine I love it then after i got mine several members have the same one. but what ever you get have fun

They are actually clearencing out the Brother SE350 that Jerrie recommended at Walmart! I was lucky enough to get one for 184.00...maybe she could find one!

I live out side of austin and lately bben watching craig'slist for austin they have had and still have some really nice machine on there. you might look in your area for used machine.or go to a shop for a used. right now on my CL there is Breaina Pff. Janoina etc can't seem to spell right today

Now mind you, this is JMO, but the newer machines don't like to sew jeans that much. At least my 2 don't. I have a 301A that will sew through pretty much anything. I got it for under $200 and she sews like a dream!.. You might look into one of those.. it's way under your budget..

I would tell her to buy a good used machine. The old machines have the basics. Older machines typically require much less maintenience, partially because they have all metal parts. Yep they are heavier , but that is because plastic weighs less. There is a reason that so many older machines are still in service. Easy to repair, and simple operations( no computer). Computer machines are sensitive to humidity, magnets, and typically cost more to repair. I have several machines, the old Non - computerized machine is the most reliable.
    She can get a great older machine for less than $200.00. If she goes to a sewing machine shop ( a sew and vac) they will offer some kind of warrenty and will have "tuned" it up prior to selling.

There's a Kenmore that is highly rated that sells for a little under $200 and then the next one up is about $300. They are made by Janome and sew really well. Mine doesn't want to do FMQuilting but then she wouldn't need that sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by mama's place
    There's a Kenmore that is highly rated that sells for a little under $200 and then the next one up is about $300. They are made by Janome and sew really well. Mine doesn't want to do FMQuilting but then she wouldn't need that sounds like.
    I think I have that Kenmore (cost around $200). It isn't as sturdy as my older Kenmore was (wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, now), but it works for what I use it for, which is quilting and clothing. I haven't had any problems sewing with denim, which I do pretty often. And I do some FMQ. I haven't tried that on any other machine to compare, but it seems to do fine to me. The owner of our LQS uses Kenmores exclusively.

Blog Entries
    Do you have a dealer around you ? Sometimes they have good prices, especially since she doesn't want/need all the bells and whistles . Or they might have some that were traded in

Pam
    I, too, like the older machines for just regular sewing. I recommend yard sales and thrift stores. Most of those machines are just needing a cleaning and oiling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast