Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine table?? >

Sewing machine table??

Sewing machine table??

Old 07-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Default Sewing machine table??

My sewing machine is sitting on a desktop. Its a little high I think.

I am considering getting a gidget I think its called.

How high is your sewing machine? Is your sewing machine flush with the table?

I had a terrible time quilting my last quilt and think it would be so much easier if my sewing machine was level with the table.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:14 PM

I have the Gidget 2 (for larger machines) and it's the perfect height. There isn't a lot of work area though, so I have a plastic table beside it.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 PM

I have my machine down flush in an older unwanted dining room table that my daughter was getting rid of. I could never sew with ease or comfort with a machine that I had to reach up to sew with.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

you could get u a desk chair that moves up and down, then when your back or legs get tired, a dif position always helps and you could continue using your desk
Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 PM

If you are hunching your shoulders when seated at the machine, it probably is too high and not good for your back, neck and shoulders.

You could elevate yourself with seat cushions if your chair isn't adjustable, but in doing so you may have to elevate your foot control if you're short like me.

My machine is in a cabinet and sits flush with the top. It is only about 27" off the floor. Hope you can find a solution...
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 PM

I discovered while trying to quilt one of my first quilts that is extremely, if not impossible if your machine is not flush with the table top. In whatever way you can, do this.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM

I don't know about a gidget, but when your machine is flush with the table it makes sewing and quilting much more confortable. When it's not flush it's almost too much work to try to balance a quilt on the sewing machine bed. It's fine for small things, but not good for larger things like a quilt.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:52 PM

My daughters both have the Gidget tables...they both live in apartments and like the fact that the gadgets fold down and can be slid under the bed. I am considering getting one for my serger. I may be mistaken but I think there is a model where your machine can sit down flush with the top. You might want to ask your dealer about that.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 PM

I love my gidget II and it can sit flush or be raised for when I do embroidery. I am also in an apartment
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM

http://www.quiltinaday.tv/tv/2300/2301.html
In this video she explains how to set your machine down into a dining table. I did the same with a desk, since that is what fits in my space. I did my design wall like hers as well, love it.