Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine table

What should the height of a sewing machine table be. My hubby wants to make me one.

Another question..How do you make an ironing board that works good with quilts..

Thanks so much..

My hubby made me an ironing board something like the "Big Boards". The top is rectangle and measures about 22 x 60. I absolutely love it. Basically he made it out of a half a piece of plywood, and then put cleats on the under side so it would fit my traditional ironing board. I then covered it with a couple of layers of discount fabric.

Although when it comes time to iron an shirt, there's no pointy end for the sleeves. Oh, well.

I think 29 inches or 29 1/2 inches is the standard.

Blog Entries
    Standard tables are 30" tall. I think a good height for a sewing table is 27-28".

Quote Originally Posted by gailmitchell
    My hubby made me an ironing board something like the "Big Boards". The top is rectangle and measures about 22 x 60. I absolutely love it. Basically he made it out of a half a piece of plywood, and then put cleats on the under side so it would fit my traditional ironing board. I then covered it with a couple of layers of discount fabric.

Although when it comes time to iron an shirt, there's no pointy end for the sleeves. Oh, well.
    My board is similar, but I had DH drill some holes in it so it wouldn't be so heavy.

Who irons anymore? I hang my stuff the minute it comes out of the dryer and I never (rarely) iron anything anymore. Am I the only one?????????

Blog Entries
    I would sit down at the table and measure the height that will be comfortable for you. I am short, so my needs/comfort is different from most :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere that the height should be adjusted to the individual user. It's height from floor to arm-height (bent at a 90 degree angle) or a little lower. If it's higher, the sewer tends to pull up on the shoulders and tightening the muscles. ....and yes, my table is way too high. sigh

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunlover

Who irons anymore? I hang my stuff the minute it comes out of the dryer and I never (rarely) iron anything anymore. Am I the only one?????????
    I still iron some of my clothes. DH's shirts, my work pants, skirts, etc. Even when I pull them out of the dryer. I guess I'm the rare one who likes to iron.

Other than fabric for quilts or WIPs, I couldn't tell you the last time I ironed. And I'm glad. :D :D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast