Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machinea >

Sewing Machinea

Sewing Machinea

Old 08-14-2015, 07:13 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Sewing Machinea

I have two machines. An older Elna 2005 and a newer Singer Confidence quilter 7469.

The Elna wasn't sewing right - probably needs a professional tune up - and I didn't have a 1/4" foot when I started quilting. I since have bought one. It also doesn't have a table to make the surface flatter/wider to hold the material so I can sew. It has 15 special stitches built in.

The Singer has a wide throat to hold a rolled up quilt if I ever figure out how to machine quilt and lots of special stitches built in, which I have only used a couple of since buying the machine. BUT it doesn't do a long straight stitch (unless I don't know what I'm doing) and that is frustrating especially when I have to do some ripping. I have the slider way over to the longest setting but it doesn't seem to matter.

I don't have a lot of money to spend but would like a machine that incorporates both the long stitch and the table. I don't have anyone who can build a table for me so I can sink the machine. :-(

Any suggestions? Tops I could go is $400 and that's a stretch. :-(
Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I am not sure what you mean when talking about a long stitch. On my older Bernina 1530, I quilt between 2.5 to 3 stitch length. If I need to do some gathering, I use the longest length which is 5. I learn my basic quilting skills by taking a class in a LQS. The internet didn't exist when I started quilting. There are a few DSM that don't need servicing. I try to take my Bernina in for servicing at least every 12 to 18 months. They get those dust bunnies out of corners that Ican't reach.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:43 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

The stitch length on the Singer goes to 7 and the Elna goes to 5 and the 5 is longer than the 7.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I would check with Sew Steady to see if they don't make an extension table for your Elna. They make most of the tables for inserts etc. Extension table $ + tune up $ might be your most cost effective option.
http://www.sewsteady.com/collections/tables-inserts

Also, a couple questions regarding stitch length. When you say the Elna has a longer stitch length available than the Singer, is that sewing the same fabric on both, or are you comparing a couple layers of cotton (Elna) with a quilt sandwich on the singer? Make sure there's no drag on whatever you are sewing on the Singer.
Why do you want a really long stitch???
Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 AM

Sometimes I want a basting stitch that I can rip out easily. The Singer is real small. I did them both on two pieces of cotton that is the same material. I also find that when I'm trying to quilt a top and the stitch is so small it tightens up and looks terrible. I've tried machine quilting on all sorts of things and just can't seem to get it right with the Singer. :-( I just put the Elna up today and only tried the straight stitch. I'll hook the Singer back up and do a comparison on a trial sandwich.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:09 PM

When I bought my first Elna--CARINA--it was a duplex, meaning it could be mounted in a sewing table or remain in machine luggage case. I bought an oak kneehole desk--you know the kind with 3 drawers on ea side and one in the center? Then I called a cabinet making shop (local), told him what I wanted, and he came to my house with tools. He measured and cut a hole in the desktop, with a lip for the machine to rest on. He was able to trim down the back of the center drawer so that I could slide it open without the machine undercarriage interfering. I have now been using that desk since about 1983--thru several machines. I still use it for my sewing table after my hubby cut a wood filler for the hole, to set my embroidery machine on. So you can make a sewing table out of many pieces of furn--ck out thrift stores. Our Goodwill store almost always has sewing tables. As to the Singer--I have never owned one, so the only comment I would make is to perhaps adjust the top tension when you lengthen the stitch. The stitch length should be adjustable.

Last edited by mermaid; 08-14-2015 at 01:13 PM.