Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing machines - which one would you choose?

Sewing machines - which one would you choose?

My eyesight is not as good as it once was. With that in mind I have been looking at the new machines with the extra lighting. So far the Brother and Baby Lock machines seem to have adequate lighting on the DreamWeaver and Crescendo models. I have not looked too much at other brands. What are your thoughts on machines with the better lighting?

Currently I use two ott lights around my machine but they cast shadows.
    ~Jo~
    Life is all about choices. We can look back and be forever sad because what was will never be again or look forward to all of the amazing things God has in store for us.

I have a Brother Quattro, the lighting is amazing. The "runway" lighting is really bright and covers the entire sewing area. I do have a standing floor lamp next to the sewing table with a true color bulb (similar to the Ott light, not a fan of the "color" Ott light throws), but only use it for late-night sewing (last night, last minute hem for my niece). Brother does a fantastic job with their machines. So user friendly. I currently have 3 Brother embroidery machines and a Baby Lock. Have used Brother for over 20 years. Absolutely would recommend the brand.

As I have gotten older I struggle to see with the poor lighting on the machines. I really love my Pfaff and don't want a new machine. I purchased a Jansjo LED light ( just 9.99) from Ikea. It has a weighted base and a a goose neck so you can point it where you need the light. Love it and now several of the guild ladies have bought the same light!! One down side - you can not purchase it online - it is only in the store. I place mine behind my machine and position the led light so it illuminates the presser foot. The added benefit is that when I need to rip out stitched (OH - but we all have to do that sometimes - lol). it can be easily moved.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

My BabyLock Elegante has a great light and I supplement it with a stick-on LED light I got from my LQS. Works well and I can use additional 'bases' for my other machines, so the extra light goes to whatever machine I'm working on.

Blog Entries
    If lighting is the *only* issue, you might want to install LED lights on your existing machine. I will link a Youtube video that shows an inexpensive DIY method, but you can also purchase specific LED lighting for sewing machines where you just plug and go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNRoI...664A7&index=12

I have a Baby Lock Crescendo the lighting is really good on the machine. I believe they call it stadium lighting, bought one of those overhead lamps with a magnifying glass at Harbor Freight I can bring it right over my machine.