Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing machines Styles and brands

Hi, I havn't been on in a long time and I just spent the day on the computer looking at all kinds of sewing machines. It is unbelievable what is out there. I am curious-What machines do you have and use-Name model- What is it you love and hate about each of them? I don't have thousands of dollars to spend but I am a quilter and that is what I want to use it for. Thanks in advance for all the input.

Lots of us in my quilt guild have Janomes of all different price options and styles. What makes it so appealing to us is that we have a wonderful dealer who isn't pushy and is very helpful. A good dealer you can trust is worth so much, in my opinion and experience. Ask people you trust ahead of time. There is a dealer that is about three minutes away from me and noone I know is happy with him/her. I don't know how he/she stays in business. It really does make a difference.

I had vikings for years but the tension was always a problem for anything other than a straight and zigzag stitch. I bought a Bernina and love it for everything!

Blog Entries
    I have the 301a Singer that I love for straight stitching and a Sears Kenmore model 385 that is fabulous with all of the fancy stitches and learning FMQ. Good luck in choosing!

I have the Babylock Quilter's Choice. Love it. Only wish the throat was bigger.

When looking for a machine, I would also look for something with the largest throat you can get, possibly a stitch regulator, bobbin empty warning light, top loading bobbin?, feed dogs that drop, a walking foot, an open toe or closed toe darning foot (depending on your preference), knee lift, self-threading...

Try the machines and see if you like them.

Brother XL-3500i
    pros: lightweight(good for class)
    nice stitching
    economical
    cons: small harp
    no needle up/down feature
    have to cover feed dogs
    Love this machine, there's not too much I don't like about this machine, great for piecing, starting out new as a quilter, doesn't hurt the pocket book, but the down is that once you've driven the mercedes benz of your brand its hard to sew with such limited features

Babylock Espire
    pros: needle up-down
    pivoting feature
    knee lift for presser foot
    adjustable presser foot pressure and height
    automatic tension adjuster(great for FMQ)
    lots of accessories
    lots of decorative stitching
    speed control
    quiet
    cons: price cost me 1800 dollars

Love everything about this machine, well worth the investment in my opinion. I did a payment plan to make it more affordable to me. I would say for the first 6 months I didn't really use the machine a little intimidating, but now I won't use anything else unless its in the shop

Blog Entries
    I have vikings one is quilt designer 2 and the other is topaz 30 love both of them. My dealer is also very good.

Blog Entries
    401A Singer
    301A Short-Bed
    301A Long-Bed
    Kenmore Vintage
    Janome
    Singer Serger

Bernina, Bernina, Bernina!!! Worth every cent in precision, power, and performance. My Berninas are Trouble-free, easy to learn and use workhorses. I started with a vintage 930 that I bought here, then I was hooked. Next I got a used 440 from my dealer. Now I've got a new 820. They do not disappoint. No trouble going over thick seams. Excellent stitch quality. Another machine I can personally recommend that has excellent quality for a lower price is the Baby Lock Quest Plus. It's $999 at my nearest dealer since it's been replaced by the Serenade. The Quest Plus has built-in dual feed, beautiful perfect stitches, comes with many extras like the extension table and straight stitch plate, and really compares favorably with more expensive machines.

Blog Entries
    Janome all the way!!!! High dollar or bottom dollar, will always be my machine of choice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast