Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines >

Sewing Machines

Sewing Machines

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Question Sewing Machines

I have a very old Singer machine that belonged to my aunt and it is limping along on its last leg. I am wondering what sewing machines that are not too expensive (ie less than $300) that I would be able to replace it with. I have looked on Amazon and they all seem to have decent reviews, just can't decide which will be the best choice. TIA!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM

The Viking Emerald is now on sale for 399.00 at the Viking store inside Joann's. I just bought one to replace a machine that needs too much to fix.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 PM

I can tell you a little of what I do know. Bear in mind, there are lemons in every batch, no matter how good the reviews are.

The Brother CS6000i have mostly good reviews and I know 2 people that have one and absolutely love it. A lot of people like the newer singers, but there is a problem in that they put plastic casings on metal gears and some have a tendency to break apart within 6 months. Singer will replace the parts but it is kind of a hassle. The Brother ES2000 is practically the same as the Janome 2010 and a nice machine, with a nice selection of stitches. The only feature it doesn't have is the needle up/needle down function. I personally cannot live without that function but it might not matter to you. The Janome DC1050 costs a little more than the Brother ES2000 (but still in your price range) but it does have more stitches and the needle up/needle down function. The Project Runway machines all have received very high ratings. There are some mechanical machines that fall into your price range, but with those you will not get the convenience features, like needle up/needle down, and the locking stitch, and also the convenience placement of those, and other functions, so I'd put my money into a computerized machine.

I have purchased a few sewing machines from Kens Sewing Center in Mussel Shoals, AL. Shipping is free and he has a really good selection and very good prices, and his customer service is the best. A lot of people on the board have done business with him. You might check out his website as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM

What is "very old?" If it's fifty or sixty years old or more, it will probably be very easy to work on and get it running as well as it did the day it left the factory.

It's not hard to learn how to do it, and will likely cost a lot less than a new sewing machine.

That said, I had a Brother CS 6000i which I just loved. It was a pretty sturdy and capable machine for the low price and very easy to operate.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 PM

I have a Baby Lock which I really love but I am looking at getting a lighter Brother machine that I can take to my quilting bee and to classes. I am tired of going up and down the stairs with the Baby Lock.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 PM

What model is your 'very old' machine? Many of them are well worth repairing and even easy enough for you to do a good bit yourself. Wish I had kept the one I learned to sew on, but I was afraid it had gotten water damage and did not want to deal with anything else at the time.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM

I have bought a refurbished brother from overstock(xl3500-i which is mechanical) and new one from walmart(SQ-9050 computerized) highly recommend both spent 109 on the first and 200 on the second which has more features. The first I have had for about 6 years and the second for a year, neither have had problems and I think I have only serviced the first one for a cleaning once. I did have to return my first refurbished one as it wouldn't start but they sent me a new one super fast and it has never been a problem. Overstock has great customer service
Old 07-24-2012, 04:38 AM

Thank you everyone for the great information!! It certainly helps with my search. I am uncertain of the exact age of my machine, my aunt passed away and I inherited it. I believe it is about 30 years old give or take a few years. It is a Singer Merritt 3140. That being said I am not very mechanically inclined and would have to pay someone to bring it back up to good working order. But maybe that would still be cheaper than a new one. Thanks again!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 AM

I bought a Brother (small) at Walmart for $200. Have used it a lot in the last 2 years and it sews perfect. Has 79 stitch patterns and letters and numbers. It skipped stitches and I found out the bobbin case was worn a little so ordered a new on from On Line Sewing Parts, works fine now. Hope this helps. I do have 2 other machnes that are too heavy to take to class. This was the reason for me to buy this little Brother. My other machines are sewing and embroidery machine. Janome 9000, Brother ULT with the Disney designs built right in. TOO heave for classes.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 AM

I suggest that you go and test "sew" several different brands of machines and see which one you like best. Then try to find the machine either on line at Amazon, Ken's or ebay/craigs list. Maybe even a refurbished machine. I have a $300.00 Singer (on sale) from joann's. I like the way it peices and it have many stitches but I do not like it for FMQ. I am afraid that I will blow up the motor when FMQ. I now have a BRother 1500s and really love it for FMQ. Also it sews/peices really nice. I would suggest that yiu save your money and buy a better machine. I got my Brothers from Amazon for $600 with free shippinbg and no tax.