Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machines >

sewing machines

sewing machines

Old 09-08-2012, 03:32 AM

Lightbulb sewing machines

so I have heard that the sale of sewing machines is down. Any thoughts on why that would be? Are you thinking of buying a sewing machine?
Old 09-08-2012, 04:22 AM

I'm actually considering purchasing a sewing machine. I had a Bailey 15" on a frame that I never used. I sold that and I'm looking in to purchasing something to replace it. I don't know what since I'd like a straight stitch machine with about 11" of throat. I would have kept my Bailey or considered purchasing the 11" version to use on a table however I really would like to have a walking foot with it and there are no feed dogs on a Bailey.

For me, machines are getting to be all electronic bells and whistles. There are not many basic machines that I would like to purchase. I have considered and am leaning towards the Juki 2010. I will compare it to the Brother 1500 and the Janome 1600 but I'm leaning towards the Juki. If it were just a little longer, I would have bought it already.

I looked at the Janome Horizon which does have an 11" throat but it was for me just a bit too slow. Even at full speed I wanted it to go faster and that was a disappointment. I already have a Janome machine with all the bells and whistles. It just doesn't have the throat that I want so I have to look elsewhere.

I have also considered the Sunshine 16 on a table or even with the frame since I could feasibly use it on a table although the handles are not removable. That is not a big deal for me. It would give flexibility to the machine if I could use it both ways - but again, no walking foot capability. I would go for the Sunshine over the Bailey though for speed purposes alone.

In a nutshell... I think machines are getting too electronic. I don't care about the fancy stitches. I just want something that will sew a fast but nice straight stitch. Maybe a zigzag. I want it to have a long, taller neck. The biggest thing is that I don't want to spend a few months' paychecks to buy the it. Keep it under $1500. I know 2k is a lot for people but for what I want, I have to be reasonable. If a Juki 2010 with a 9" throat costs about $1000, I think that adding a few inches to the machine shouldn't double the price.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I don't know why sales are down... the members here buy multiple machines hehehehe
I have 5 myself.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 AM

The economy for one. unless you are using it for income, it is a recreational expense. When some is unemployed they are less likely to spend on their hobbies. Sewing machines aren't cheap, especially if you want the higher end modern ones you are at least looking at close to 1000. With people struggling with their mortgages, who is going to shell out that kind of money, and if they have a nice one but money is tight they are also less likely to upgrade even though they might want to. Look at what the economy has done to the sale of cars, electronics, how many retail stores have gone out of business or cloed down some of their stores, circut city, best buy, GM, dodge. Everything is affected by this economy
Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 AM

I'm having to save for my dream machine...a Brother Laura Ashley Special Edition Innov-is NX-2000. My DH's first reaction was that we could get a pretty good used car for what I'm going to pay for this. Now they have a new line that's even more expensive! I've been saving for 9 months already & have basically half what I need. I see a lot of people buying the cheaper machines, but high end ones I can see where there'd be a slow down right now economically. I'm having a hard time affording it myself, but want to quilt my own quilts.