Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machines >

sewing machines

sewing machines

Old 09-15-2015, 08:01 AM

You might also try a shop that sells and repairs sewing machines. I know they often use machines for classes and then sell at a discount after the class. They might also have some machines that they took as trade-ins available. It would been a generous thing for them to do and also would potentially get "new" customers later on. Have a good class!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 AM

Check out your GoodWill store..I got a Monkey Wards,50 year old,solid machine for $15. It has a number of stitches,I from the looks of the foot pedal,wasn't used much. There were 3 other machines there,for the same price .
Old 09-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Any particular reason why the OP feels she needs to foot the entire bill?

I have learned that people tend to value things more if they have some "interest" in them.

They paid something for whatever - contributed time/effort to the project -

Perhaps the girls (or their parents) that are interested could do a fundraiser for themselves? or ask around? or even contribute a token amount to the project?

Sometimes when something is "just handed to" someone - the someone does not take very good care of the item.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 AM

all good suggestions!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

For whatever machines that are acquired -

make sure that they sew well - it is very hard to stay interested in sewing - especially as a beginner - if one is trying to work with something uncooperative.

Some inexpensive machines can work well - and some expensive (as some of the purchasers of the Bernina 830 QE can attest) can have problems -

Also - if possible - try to have the machines be similar in operating capabilities so that you don't have to spend a lot of time trying to demonstrate how to run them or troubleshoot.

Expect to spend some time troubleshooting. There are still untried ways to get a machine to balk!

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-15-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

As someone who has a number of vintage machines they are an option and asking for donations is a great idea. That assumes the machines are in working order or you can service them to the point of functional.

I also have several low end Brothers. One at my house and one at each of my sons. They have never gone out of time or given me the first bit of trouble. They sew through anything (fleece, fur, velcro, canvas, etc.) and are not fussy about thread. I wonder if some of people saying they are bad have had any real experience on them. Plus if you save the receipt you can return them if they don't work out.

There are a lot of us on this board who have very good things to say about the low end Brothers. I would not discount them if that is a possibility, maybe for one or two, to supplement with other machines.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:31 AM

I would look on Amazon. They have lots of machine at low cost. Most of the are Singers/Brother.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

Very good question and seems like a very good cause. I love it when we pass on this art to the younger generation. That being said, I would start by asking for loaners from the congregation first. I have had great success with the "cheapie" machine from WalMart. They do offer extended warranties you can purchase. Good luck with this fantastic project. If I was closer, I would take the class also.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:44 AM

I agree with others who have commented about cheap machines. You do get what you pay for. The problem is new operators-they are hard on machines and they do have problems. The plastic parts warp easily under hard use (and unintentional abuse) and repairing them is very difficult because of the plastic. How do I know? I was a Home Economics teacher. I would recommend asking for 'loaners' or donations from the congregation. The last thing you want to happen to these young sewers is discouragement.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:00 AM

I have had both low end Janome and Brother machines and they were fantastic little workhorses and use many of the same feet and attachments. BUT, I'd look for vintage center homing machines at local thrift stores. Especially those from the early 40's - mid 60's that are all or very nearly all metal. They sew a very nice stitch, are easy to maintain and very inexpensive. I saw two Kenmore machines at the local Goodwill last week for $15 each, both complete and included many accessories. If I had room I'd have bought them on the spot.