Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing a perfect diamond tip?

Sewing a perfect diamond tip?

Does any know how to do this in a nifty way ? Or could give me a neat video to watch or a good book that would know how? I'm having problems with it puckering! As you can see in the photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Power Poster
    Wish I could help but the only solution I have found is to sew more of the diamond tips into the seam to reduce the extra fabric. Your top looks great and if mine looked as good as yours, I would be doing a happy dance!

I think from what I see, that you need to match points better, use scant one quarter inch, and mark corners and sew fro m one quarter inch mark on seam to next one quarter inch mark. Also, starch fabric before cutting out and not stretch bias of material. I did Giant Dahlia and had to measure with ruler for one quarter inch seam to make sure I wasn't going over an sometimes I did cant one quarter inch and they seemed to fit together better. I took my time and cut out and marked carefully. Just some thoughts. Also, press not iron blocks as u go and lightly starch again. Take care to move iron up and down not side to side. Seams need to be perfectly flat.
    Last edited by topper1; 06-12-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles & tears,colored with memories and bound by LOVE.....................
    rb

Blog Entries
    When I get to the center of a 6 or 8 pointed star, I take the last quarter inch (that I have not stitched down) and twist them all in a circle fashion, sort of like those twirly things on a stick that kids spin by blowing on. Then I use a small hammer or the rounded top of a screwdriver handle and really press hard to flatten the twist. It kind of looks like I'm trying to kill my quilt, but it really works well fo me

wow pretty quilt.

Blog Entries
    Try a hammer .or a iron mallet tool.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Just want to say you did a beautiful job!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Thanks for the replies, ladies!And Topper1 the starching was what I needed and then I hand basted the seams together before machine sewing, which worked real good. It seemed that the pins were not holding the seams good enough and fabric was stretching.