Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing a quilt table cloth, Need help

Blog Entries

Sewing a quilt table cloth, Need help

When making a tablecloth, do you sandwich it or just put on a backing?

I would think it would depend on how thick you want it. Do you want it just for show and then you will take it off to eat? Or do you want to use it on the table during a meal? Maybe even just flannel as a batt..but I might wash it 1st. It might shrink alot more than the top and backing. I am interested in what others have done.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I've made a few table toppers. They have been for my large coffee table and generally just for decoration. I do place things - flowers; chips/dips; etc. on them so use the quilts for wood protection. In each case I have sandwiched with cotton batting and (hand) quilted. I do use W&N batting which is fairly thin. I'd probably do the same for my dining table but I'd rather just make a bed quilt if I'm making something that large!

I hear theremore is the thinnest batting. I would do that for mine if I were to put batting

I just use inexpensive flannel for mine, and do wash it first. It makes them hang better than either nothing or batting. They can double as a summer quilt very easily, too.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Pellon fleece interfacing works for me. It's 45" wide sold in the interfacing section in both fusible and non fusible. I use the non, but that's just a personal preference leftover from the early days of fusibles. Thermore seems to be about the same weight.

If you want a quilt for a tablecloth, you need to put something in for a batting, otherwise it's not a quilt by definition;>

Several years ago I began making placemats for meals on wheels as an Easter charity project for a local quilt store. I use the thin white poly batting sold for snow in christmas decor. After Christmas it is usually discounted by 75% or more. Even tho it often has a fine mist of glitter on one side, it is perfect for placemats and the price is right.

I have used both flannel and Thermore as batting on table toppers and had good results.

I have made tablecloths (I like to make them for the different seasons) without anything in the middle and with a layer of flannel. The flannel does give it a little body.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast