Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing studio flooring question >

Sewing studio flooring question

Sewing studio flooring question

Old 06-21-2016, 12:05 PM

Wow ladies! Thank you so much for the responses~!

I do not typically have a moisture problem down there, but then again, one never knows. I do run a dehumidifier, though, just to keep it smelling nice and not stale or musty.

I can see where the no-carpet decision would be good just for the clean-up factor, but can appreciate the carpet for the warmth and quietness.

I did go and look at the acid etched and they are indeed beautiful. I looked online and I can probably do my entire room for less than a few hundred dollars. Amazing idea, thanks!
Old 06-21-2016, 12:26 PM

As a side note: We painted the concrete patio with the epoxy paint and sprinkles, and what a difference in heat retention. We live in So Cal where it can get HOT, and the patio gets sun most of the day. The sidewalk around the patio is unpainted and the concrete with the paint (light blue) is at least 10 degrees cooler. The room going out to the patio seems cooler too, once we painted it.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:21 PM

I have had a painted floor in my basement sewing room for 10 years or so. But I do not live in an area with cold winters and moisture is not an issue.

I am in the process of converting my exh's office into a long arm room. I ripped up the carpet and plan to put down vinyl plank with the underlay that is often used under laminate under it. I will have anti fatigue mats in front of the long arm machine.

Personally I would not have carpet in my sewing room, I sew barefoot and do not want to worry about stepping on pins. I also hate having to cut threads off the vacuum cleaner.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:22 PM

My sewing rooms have always been in the basement. Concrete floors aren't the best on the legs - mine get achy mighty quick right now, as carpet hasn't been laid yet. Carpeting adds warmth to the room, and keeps it from sounding "hollow", as pergo and laminates do. I love carpet in my sewing rooms. We don't have water problems in our basement, so no worries there.

I found these carpet tiles at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Versatile...T001/203051709 and fell in love with them. As far as I'm concerned, it's like having a scrappy quilt on the floor! Added bonus, they're 2x2 feet, so if you've got to lay out a quilt, you've pretty much got a built-in ruler. They've gotten rave reviews on the site, and there are tons of pics that people have posted in the reviews. The floors look fabulous. At $1/SF, you can't beat the price. I was blessed with a large area in this basement - about 480 SF, so $500 to carpet the room sure beats the $1500-2000 it was going to cost! I'm going to buy an extra box for those moments when I spill glue, paint or other assorted liquids. Just peel up the square and lay a new one.

I've emptied out my sewing room (except for the LA machine, which still has a quilt on it) and DH is going to start painting the cinder block walls this weekend. The carpet tiles are on order! I'll post a pic once it's finished

Last edited by cindi; 06-21-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:39 PM

Lowe's sells a vinyl plank called Smartcore - 100% waterproof which means if it gets wet, it does not swell, discolor, rot etc. Installation is click together, can be cut with a utility knife, but is solid enough that it will not show grout lines/texture if installed over tile or sheet vinyl.
We used it in a basement bath and plan to do the entire basement in it.
I am a barefoot gal, and love the feel of it underfoot, it has a woodgrain texture.
My sewing room is not downstairs, but I really like this flooring.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Lowe's sells a vinyl plank called Smartcore - 100% waterproof which means if it gets wet, it does not swell, discolor, rot etc. Installation is click together, can be cut with a utility knife, but is solid enough that it will not show grout lines/texture if installed over tile or sheet vinyl.
We used it in a basement bath and plan to do the entire basement in it.
I am a barefoot gal, and love the feel of it underfoot, it has a woodgrain texture.
My sewing room is not downstairs, but I really like this flooring.
this sounds great--once removing basement carpet and replacing flooring rolls around on home repair list, I'll check it out. I long arm in basement and would like to get rid of the office grade carpet--too many threads and hate having to cut them from vacumn brush! currently use laminate in sewing room with floor protector under chair and a anti-fatigue mat in front of cutting table. I keep a white throw rug under the ironing board to keep the quilts clean and grab the threads.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:03 PM

I would HAVE to have padding of some kind underfoot. Too much time on my feet and my back starts groaning and my plantar faciitis starts burning. We replaced the carpet in our family room several years ago. We got the best pad with a middle-of-the-road carpet. I can definitely tell the difference between the different grades of pads in our house when I walk in that room.

I've heard that there's a bamboo wood flooring that you can install with a pad or something somewhat squishy underfoot, it's not as hard as wood or concrete. No idea if it's warmer, though.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
I wouldn't use carpet. I have an almost white linoleum (or maybe its vinyl) flooring in my sewing area. It is easy to see everything on the floor, fabric scraps, thread bits, fluff, dropped pins, etc. And it has no small crevices for things to hide in. More important it's easy to clean, just a quick sweep with a broom or a damp mop. My sewing room might be messy but the floor looks fabulous.

I don't find my floor cold although I do wear slippers during the winter.
I added electric baseboard heat to keep warm only when I am there, and a dehumidifier to control the moisture and protect my machines and fabric, I do have a throw rug in front of my ironing board, but my chairs roll freely and I live in my bare feet. Love my light vinyl floor to sweep and reflect light.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:46 PM

My studio had a concrete floor and I added a vinyl floor covering. It has a little cushion to it and is easy to clean. Also, it looks like tile and has surprised many of my friends. I am very pleased with my vinyl and highly recommend it.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
My sewing room might be messy but the floor looks fabulous.
I thought your post was cute...my current sewing space is a little disarray but I also keep my floor clean. LOL