Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: sewing table

I have little room to sew and usually use my dining room table for cutting and sewing. problem is it is too low. I can't raise it with those bed extenders because it is an old table and nothing will fit under it the way it is made. What about advice to put something on the top. Needs to be about 8 to 10 in higher. Any suggestions

Blog Entries
    Another table would be your best option since that's a significant amount. I got one at Sam's that is adjustable height. It's 2'X4', so it's not real big, and would be great for your machine and tools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Another table would be your best option since that's a significant amount. I got one at Sam's that is adjustable height. It's 2'X4', so it's not real big, and would be great for your machine and tools.
    i have the same one, for when i go camping, i have something to sew on...

If your table is okay for sewing at, perhaps you could use your kitchen counter for cutting. I know it's not the perfect solution, but it's what I use. If your "old" table isn't an antique you could probably get someone to build you a plywood "box" that would sit on top with a cut out for your machine, but I wouldn't want to put something on the table that might mark it if it's a nice table.

Blog Entries
    A foam insulation topper might work. Take a look at this Youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14go...os=IwvgsDlMgSo

I think the biggest problem would be finding a place to put it when not in use.

thanks so much for all the suggestions.

If I didn't have my cutting table in my sewing room I could easily use the kitchen island. It is the perfect height for standing and cutting fabric. I have hinted to my husband if we get around to replacing my cutting table with a more permanent one that is what I want. But with a larger cutting surface maybe 3' x 5'.