Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing thru "wonder under" >

Sewing thru "wonder under"

Sewing thru "wonder under"

Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 PM

How do you folks sew thru wonder under? I always have trouble gumming up my needles-------be they sewing machine or hand sewing needles/

I did snowflakes on some pretty batik-------raw edge applique using wonder under. It's for my DD and I already told her to be careful wiht it becasue I may not sew it any more. (tablerunner)

My machine is old and doesn't have zigzag. So I may just whip stitch around the edges and the very center by hand.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:44 PM

When I've used womder under on appliqued Christmas sweatshirts I've finished the edges with a line of the glossy or glittery fabric paint. After several times through the washer and dryer it tends to crack and peel but is easily redone.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Power Poster

There is more than one type of Wonder Under, the light can be sewn through, the heavy one will gum up your needle :D:D:D
Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM

Bugger to sew by hand - did that once on raw-edge applique. Now I use my LA to quilt it down...only use it on wall-hangings that won't be washed cuz I don't want it to unravel. Doesn't seem to gum up my LA needle.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
When I've used womder under on appliqued Christmas sweatshirts I've finished the edges with a line of the glossy or glittery fabric paint. After several times through the washer and dryer it tends to crack and peel but is easily redone.
I thought of that, but I don't think I could do that with a table runner.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by amma
There is more than one type of Wonder Under, the light can be sewn through, the heavy one will gum up your needle :D:D:D
Heavens, it's pretty light. I saved the scraps so I'll iron one of those on another scrap and see if I can manage. Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 05:04 AM

I use a product called Needle Lube. You put it on the needle and the tension where the thread goes through. If doing a lot of applique you have to do it several times but it does work. Don't know if they still make it or not. Mine has been around for years.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

there are different types of paper backed fusable. some say ... permentent bond, no-sew fusable...these will gum up your needles, whether is it wonder under, heat n bond or steam a seam. if you want to stitch your fused fabrics you need to purchase the products used for sewing, they usually state on the packaging or end of the bolt if it is good for sewing or if it is considered a permentent bond.
a small soft cloth saturated with olive oil (or machine oil) beside the machine will come in handy to clean the gunk from your needle as is builds up but extra cleaning should be done on the machine after so get rid of the gunk that sticks to the lint and builds up under the bobbin.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by sunflower126
I use a product called Needle Lube. You put it on the needle and the tension where the thread goes through. If doing a lot of applique you have to do it several times but it does work. Don't know if they still make it or not. Mine has been around for years.
I'll look. Thanks