Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with Tricot Knit??? >

Sewing with Tricot Knit???

Sewing with Tricot Knit???

Old 08-29-2016, 07:24 AM

This is a whole new technique with a whole new set of rules. You just basically asked, I want to make a quilt, any tips?
I would recommend you pick an on line course on craftsy and sew along using their pattern and practice material. Since you are already a seamstress, one time is all you will need to make you an expert.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:34 AM

I know this sounds obvious, but if you don't have a serger, make sure that you use a stretch stitch to sew your knit fabric. If you have acess to Nancy Zeiman's show on PBS, "Sewing With Nancy"--she has a two-part segment called "Sew Knits With Confidence" that you might benefit from. If you have a Roku, you can access PBS easily.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
I know this sounds obvious, but if you don't have a serger, make sure that you use a stretch stitch to sew your knit fabric. If you have acess to Nancy Zeiman's show on PBS, "Sewing With Nancy"--she has a two-part segment called "Sew Knits With Confidence" that you might benefit from. If you have a Roku, you can access PBS easily.
All great suggestions. I don't know if this is the one where she demonstrates the "wobble" stitch for knits. Longer length, very subtle zigzag, if you have a machine that will zig and zag!! I used it for knits on clothes for the 18" doll and worked great.

Let us know how it all turns out!!
Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

You can also check on u tube and at the library for books or tapes to check out on the subject. I agree that a serger and ball point needle are the best way to deal with knits. But like everyone says, check your built in stitches on your machine. There should be some there for knits. Your sewing machine manual should give you a little instruction too.
You will be surprised how easy it is to work with. Don't be afraid of it.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 AM

Yes to what Stitchnripper said. Also, use your walking foot, and a ball-point needle.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I am thinking you mean pique knit. It is used for polo shirts and has a rougher texture, not a smooth knit. As PP said, tricot is what you make silky nightgowns out of, not polo shirts. Pique knit is easy to handle. Sew it with a very narrow zigzag if you don't have a serger. It will look like a straight stitch, but it has some give to handle the stretch.

Pam
That was it! I couldn't think of pique.

The joys of getting older
Old 08-31-2016, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

One can sew on tricot and other knits with a straight stitch machine if one uses the "stretch and sew" method developed by Ann Person.

It is easier with a zig-zag stitch - but it can be done.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

If your machine has a triple stitch, that would work too.