Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharing Electric Quilt Projects >

Sharing Electric Quilt Projects

Sharing Electric Quilt Projects

Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Hi Chris, Hope you're feeling much better! We have some at work down with the flu and it is *nasty*!

When I was just starting out with EQ5, I did spend quite a bit of time with the videos - they do a good job of stepping you through the basics.

And even in the projects on the EQ website today, they still have instructions for EQ5 users! Check out the mysteries - they have two projects - 'Equinox' and 'Skylights' with instructions for all versions. With each lesson, you will learn something new!

It does take time but I love EQ!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Linda, thanks so much for encouraging me to check out EQ website. I didn't know they included lessons for 5/6 users. Will definitely give them a try.
I do understand it taking time to learn how to use a software. It took some time for me to learn how to use my embroidery software, though I wasn't interested in digitizing; it did take a while to be able to use the software without using the manual.
It was interesting when I first started learning to use EQ, I found it alot like the embroidery software and think I didn't get as frustrated with the learning curve because some of the commands were so familiar and understood what the software was doing. Take care, Chris
Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by seweasy
I know the other forums doyoueq and EQclub are great but they are so focused on the newer versions that there is no discussion about EQ5. Penny, on doyoueq, has been great to answer questions for me but there is no one else posting anything about 5.
I'm not thoroughly convinced that upgrading is in my best interest. Of all the new features that 6&7 offer, I think the one that I would enjoy most is having the ability to import embroidery designs into the quilt design; otherwise from what I've read about the newer versions that take quilting to a level that I'm not sure I would ever ready to do. I'm still a beginner and still about basic quilting!
I suppose I hoping to find someplace where EQ5 was still used by some and where I could still learn some things about it through their experiences . And maybe on occasion, I might be able to help someone who has lost interest in the software, to give it another try.
Hi Chris,
Just because so many of us have upgraded is no reason not to ask questions relating to V5/6 in this forum. Most of the underlying protocols have not changed, EQ has just upgraded what I would call the fine tuning controls (like being able to move fabric around to "fussy cut") and provided some useful but unnecessary add-ons in other areas. I still have my outsource manuals for EQ5 that I delve into when I need an answer even though I am using v7. And I absolutely agree that you should stick to v5 until you decide if you like using it and only upgrade if v6/7 does something that you will actually use. For me it made sense, but it is a financial commitment.
Diana
Old 02-08-2011, 04:32 PM

Hi! Diana, I felt a little out of place being one of a few still asking questions about V5. I suppose its better to get up the nerve and admit I need help than sitting here feeling frustrated. I printed out the first lesson of Skylights Mystery, so I will be working on it tonight.
Thanks much for the encouragment to keep working. I know I'm making some progress. Chris
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 AM

Hang in there Chris. I think the mystery patterns are a nice gentle way of learning the ins and outs of the program and there are lots of folks here to help with the rough spots. :-))

Diana
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 AM

Hi! Diana,I'm trying!!! I made it through the first two lessons. My husband walked through my sewing room and asked what I was doing, showed him the the finale and what the quilt should look like; his comment was "you should make that!" I think it helped him understand better what the software can do.
I had a little trouble with the second lesson but I think I wasn't clicking on something because I couldn't get the Grid Setup selection highlighted so I could click on it. Kept working with it till I did something right and it worked. Got the first block drawn and saved in the sketch book. Can see how handy knowing how to draw your own blocks could be; see a quilt block you like, you can draw it out.
The more I look at the finished quilt, I think I want to make this quilt, so that make this mystery quilt even more fun! I love samplers and it isn't a huge quilt so I could handle that.
Will post my progress! Take care, Chris
Old 02-09-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by seweasy
see a quilt block you like, you can draw it out
I think this is one of the things that really makes a difference in how I look at quilts now - can usually look at a quilt and break it down into the component blocks and pieces. I really think this came from working with EQ!

Sounds like you're making *fabulous* progress with the mystery lessons - woot woot - keep it up!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Now that I've snooped on your conversation, I'll have to check out the EQ site! I bought EQ6 in the autumn - and spent a weekend playing with it and felt quite confident - well you know what happens when you don't look at a program for a while ---- I went to design a quilt to get some yardages, and had total brain freeze. Had to dig out my book and start all over at page 1. :)
I have no idea how to receive files - and they are starting a Baltimore Album BOM that I would LOVE to do!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
Now that I've snooped on your conversation, I'll have to check out the EQ site! I bought EQ6 in the autumn - and spent a weekend playing with it and felt quite confident - well you know what happens when you don't look at a program for a while ---- I went to design a quilt to get some yardages, and had total brain freeze. Had to dig out my book and start all over at page 1. :)
I have no idea how to receive files - and they are starting a Baltimore Album BOM that I would LOVE to do!
Hi Millstream Mom,
A word of caution with EQ yardage calculations. Some of mine have been waay off. If you have that perfect fabric and are trying to see if you can get all the pieces out, double check with pencil and paper. Most of the time it gives a good general idea but I personally wouldn't rely on it for more than that.

Diana
Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Hi!Millstream Mom, I sort of did the same thing with V5. Over a year ago I went through the Getting Started book then didn't use the software again for nearly a year. I'm hoping this time I will take enough time to really learn how to use the software so it will be second-nature to use it. Chris