Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharing my Eureka moment.. >

Sharing my Eureka moment..

Sharing my Eureka moment..

Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Default Sharing my Eureka moment..

As someone who is impatient, I wanted to get on with FMQ my first large bedsize quilt. I did practise for a time adjusting the machine settings with a practise sandwich (probably not as much practise as would be sensible). I was eager to start so once I thought I had a stitch I liked and sorted the eyelash issue I was off and running. As to be predicted I did not complete it all in one sitting so after a couple of days I returned to it and I swear the mischief fairy had changed the settings - so back to the practise sandwich. Got myself back to the stitch I was happy with until the thread had a break. Rethreaded and then thought to test once more on the practise piece - then decided to see how increasing the speed would play out - wow! progress with practise. So anyone out there who wants to do FMQ from a beginners stance - give it a go, practise play, and be kind to yourself - it will and does improve. I will admit my choice was the easiest option - meandering pattern though I have crossed lines here and there but overall I dont think you can see them.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 PM

I couldn't agree more! I still have a LOOOOOONG way to go, but I find that even after a break, the skills remain and it's not like I'm starting from new. And give yourself credit - meandering isn't the easiest thing to do!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Yes, as the old saying goes, practice makes perfect. There are always charity quilts to practice on. I use to make a lot of quilts for the local animal shelter. They preferred blankets but they were pleased with the quilts.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Good for you. I don't think the crossing lines rule holds anymore with all the loopy, geometric, stars and such I see on many quilts quilted on our home machines. This is one of the most fun parts of quilting and I'm not going to let the quilting police see my quilt anyway. One tip, take one of those small post it notes, or sticky dots and write down the settings after your practice and stick it right on the machine. It removes with no residue when the project is finished. I do this with decorative stitches too, especially if I've changed any of the default settings. Have fun.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:59 PM

it took forever for me to figure out the settings on my brother. when it finally hit, i wrote the settings on the machine with a sharpie (extra fine point). but I played for hours with practice pieces. then went back over them with a different color thread so i could see where i was. i'm comfortable enough with simple things. still practicing on feathers. just have fun with it. it will get there. if you get aggravated, quit for awhile. don't worry about crossing lines, just get used to the feel and control first. fine tune later.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

Every time my stitches are great I write down the thread brand, weight and type with what brand and type of needle and what tension setting. I use a moleskine journal just for this. No one will toss a moleskin by mistake.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:31 AM

I agree with Onetomatoplant, meandering isn't the easiest quilting design. I find loops, flowers and leaves/vines much easier. It's awesome that you've become more confident with fmq. It sure opens up a lot of options. I have a friend with a computerized Gammill, which I can use for a very nominal fee, but I prefer to do the quilting at home where I can quilt for a few hours while managing the laundry and meal planning at the same time. Days standing in front of the quilting machine seem like lost days because nothing gets done here at home.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 AM

First of all, "days standing in front of the quilting machine" would be FOUND days for me!!! lol But I wanted to add that I've found quilting panels to be my best free motion practice. I outline the pictures to give them dimension. I love doing the patriotic eagle panels for Quilts of Valor. . all the feathers, etc. (not free motion type feathers, . . . outlining the ones on the panel.) But doing panels has given me lots of good practice re speed and smooth curves. Onebyone's comment re kind of thread caught my eye, too. I need to remember that!
Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 AM

One of my favorite quilts was one where I traced pictures from a coloring book (simple designs) and practiced quilting those. The grandkids loved them and they were easy to follow.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Congrats on your Eureka I can Do moment! Glad to hear that you took the plunge and it really isn't that scary after all.