Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sharing my space >

sharing my space

sharing my space

Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 AM

my hubby has decided to make a quilt !! i had planned on spending the weekend at home sewing as im behind on some projects. however my hubby wound up having minor surgery on thursday so i took care of him. well hes been working on an idea for a quilt and he decided since he had a little extra time off due to the surgery to do it this weekend so now hes quilting lol.
my hubby is very artistic but this is a new area for him so im sharing space and helping a little too. its kinda strange having him in there lol. ill be sure and post his results of his first quilt when he gets done.
carla
Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 AM

I think that is just so sweet, your hubby doing a real share it kind of thing..sorry about the typineg mistakes, I have a cat siting on menad the keyboard
Old 09-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Ohh, you poor thing! Well, it is kind of cute, but I can understand why you may not want to be 'sharing' or feeling 'invaded.' Good luck to you and to him with his recovery.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Veerrry interesting. Could be lots of fun.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Thats sounds so nice, enjoy it, and show us some pics. please. :thumbup:
Old 09-04-2011, 02:25 PM

I don't mind sharing space, but not machines. my granddaughter recently made her first quilt while I was working on one. I rescued her a free machine so she had her own - not that I don't have five others. My son says she can't bring it home until it jams and she knows how to unjam it. Because she used enders and leaders, it never jammed. She also had her own design wall. We did share mats and cutters - sort of. At one point I ended up in the kitchen using the freezer top.

I think it's great that your husband wants to join you.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by carla m
my hubby has decided to make a quilt !! i had planned on spending the weekend at home sewing as im behind on some projects. however my hubby wound up having minor surgery on thursday so i took care of him. well hes been working on an idea for a quilt and he decided since he had a little extra time off due to the surgery to do it this weekend so now hes quilting lol.
my hubby is very artistic but this is a new area for him so im sharing space and helping a little too. its kinda strange having him in there lol. ill be sure and post his results of his first quilt when he gets done.
carla
Don't do it! lol! I made the mistake two months ago during 4th of July weekend. He has moved into my sewing room, rearranged it and has gone through my stash, rulers, mats etc and has now made 3 wall hangings and 1 laptop quilt. All he needs to do is quilt them. They are already sandwiched, basted and ready to go.

Seriously, I think it is great that you are able to share your hobby with him. It has been a great experience with dh. Tomorrow we are going shop hopping in the Quilt Across Texas.

Enjoy every minute while you can. I know I do.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:05 PM

How wonderful for the two of you to share such a great passion!! I always gladly share my sewing room with my DH...he created it for me so it seems only fair. Have a great time!!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:12 AM

We had a wonderful quilter here in NY who let her husband into her quilting room when he retired. He wanted only to do 'tiny' things! He is now the main ribbon winning quilter and still does tiny works of art......teaches and his wife assists him! His things are only about a foot by a foot at most, but they take your breath away!
Be sure you know what you're getting into!
It should be fun...or really maddening!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:20 AM

I think(maybe) it's great that your hubby is wanting to make a quilt. Do you have an extra machine? If so, then let him use that one, so that you can both sew at the same time if you want to. But tell him if he decides that he likes quilting that he needs his own sewing/quilting room. LOL If my hubby were to decide to learn to sew or quilt, it would have to be in totally separate rooms, he's neat, I'm not, but he's not even vaguely interested in learning how to sew or quilt, so I'm safe. LOL