Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sharpening Pinking Shears

Does anyone know of somewhere I could send my pinking shears to to have them sharpened? I tried all of those suggestions of cutting thru foil ----nope - not working --------- and sandpaper ---------------waste of time......any other suggestions?? What would the usual fee cost to have someone do it?? New shears are wayyyyyy outta my league! Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Power Poster
    Sometimes e-bay has Gingher pinking shears at comparatively reasonable prices

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Sometimes e-bay has Gingher pinking shears at comparatively reasonable prices
    Thanks - I will check it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some fabric stores will have someone that comes around every so often that will sharpening scissors. We have a discount fabric store that has someone come in every other Thurs. He doesn't do it on site but it's only a week or so and you'll have sharp scissors again.
    Check with your lqs, they should know of someone that does it.

Any place that sharpens saw blades and regular scissors should be able to do pinking shears.

Blog Entries
    I just had mine done a few weeks ago at Joann's in Poway, CA. There is a guy who comes in something like once every few months and sharpens knives and scissors. I had an old (about 30 yrs) pair of dress-making scissors done, as well as my Mother's pinking sheers (must be 60 years old) and her old GIANT dress-making scissors done and he did a terrific job. I couldn't even get the old ones opened before!. Check with your LQS or Joann's if you have one nearby and find out if they have someone and when he comes or if they can send them out. You could also check the yellow pages of the phone book, but you won't know what you are getting.

Blog Entries
    Check your local hardware store (not a BIG box store). They may have someone who comes in to sharpen customer's saw blades, lawn mower blades, etc.

Oh, I need to do this too. I got a pair from my Grandma, but they hardly cut.

Great ideas! Thanks to all.

Blog Entries
    50 % off sales :thumbup: and get new ones