Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: sharpening sissors

When it's time to sharpen your quilting sissors do you take them to a professional knife sharpner?

he can probably do it, most fabric stores can recomend someone, my local Hancock's has a guy who comes in once a month and does them while you wait.

I'm always really nervous to have anyone with my special scissors. I found a local guy (in a town of 2500) that does it for $2.50. He does such a nice job that he even fixed uneven points from a previous disaster. But overall, I think that a resharpened pair is never quite as good as originally.

When I was a senior in Highschool I got an award for being the top seamstress in home-ec. My teacher gave me a pair of Weiss thread snips, engraved with my name. They are more than just special. I even let the old guy I found do them, for the FIRST time ever.

When I worked in the OR (operating room), there was a guy who came once a month to repair and sharpen surgical instruments. I could get him to do my sewing shears.

Blog Entries
    I plan to use the same guy my hairdresser uses. She depends on her scissors being sharp.

I never thought about contacting a salon for a sharpener. I've looked on the internet for a local place that does it and I can't find anyone. Thanks for the idea!
    I have 2 pair of ginghers that i've had since my second job (sewing at Vanity Fair). upteen years ago! They closed the plant and moved out of the country, I kept the sissors. haha

I used to work at a sawmill, and the guys who sharpen the blades did a great job of restoring my old pinking shears that got rusty.