Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharpies v HP Printers. >

Sharpies v HP Printers.

Sharpies v HP Printers.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 AM

I have read the posts about labels and even drawing on quilts with ether sharpies,micro,or perma pens, everyone has their favorites. My question is, have any of you tried using your printers to print your labels on fabric and does the ink last?
I have a HP. The ink is very expensive, don't want to wast the ink or the fabric if it doesn't last. Thanks Monica
Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 AM

I use Bubble Jet set and it lasts otherwise it has washed out even with heat setting.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I would suggest trying out a sample, following the directions on the fabric sheet. Wash and dry it a number of times and see what the results are.

Some are happy with them, others have had problems with fading. :D:D:D
Old 07-01-2011, 07:28 AM

Hi,

I have made labels using my printer but there were all made within the past year and a half so I can't say if they will last.

I tried to write on fabric and found it looked messy and I tried several types of fabric pens. While writing this I realized I should try after starching the fabric.....???? Anyone know if this is the best approach?

I will check with my father who regularly uses a lap quilt I made for him....he can tell me if the label is holding up to the washes.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by sjscribe
Hi,

I have made labels using my printer but there were all made within the past year and a half so I can't say if they will last.

I tried to write on fabric and found it looked messy and I tried several types of fabric pens. While writing this I realized I should try after starching the fabric.....???? Anyone know if this is the best approach?

I will check with my father who regularly uses a lap quilt I made for him....he can tell me if the label is holding up to the washes.
You can place a piece of fine sandpaper behind your fabric and that should make it easier to write on, or you can iron a piece of freezer paper to the back.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 AM

I have put some labels on using that method.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I've used the Quilted Treasures fabric labels but, like most of us, I'm not really sure how they're holding up since none of the quilts has been washed very many times. So far, though, they look okay.