Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
She had the nerve to ask me..... >

She had the nerve to ask me.....

She had the nerve to ask me.....

Old 06-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Quite often I will ask someone the name and size of the quilt, not because I am trying to figure out how to make it but to get a perspective on it and if I want to make one. I don't make wall hangings and I don't like small throws. Also, I have a queen bed and the other bedroom has a full size bed so a King Size quilt is not going to be something I want to make either.

I do believe it can be rude to ask for a copy of a pattern but then if it is one from the internet that was free to begin with I don't see any harm in sharing that information.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I do believe it can be rude to ask for a copy of a pattern but then if it is one from the internet that was free to begin with I don't see any harm in sharing that information.
Just to be on the safe side I refer them to the website.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 PM
RST

To play devil's advocate -- when I look at that quilt, I think to myself -- hmmm, I wonder if I could use that charm pack and the jelly roll that have been languishing forever in my stash. It looks like you could use a 5 inch square, but, hmm, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe that starts with a 4 inch. Kinda hard to tell from the photo. And I don't want to have to buy yardage. Also hate cutting a charm pack down to 4 inches, since I lose the benefits of using precuts and basically waste over 20 % of the fabric. I know, I'll just ask my FB friend what size the starting block is. . .

Honeslty -- I would not buy that pattern unless I was a rank beginner and wanted my hand held. Even then, patterns and craftsy classes are a crap shoot. Occasionally one is very well done and provides useful insights, but the vast majority I've come across are disappointing, not particularly accurate, and don't offer any details or tips beyond basic quilting directions.

That quilt is nice, but it's very easy, and it's by no means an original thought. It doesn't really matter what the specific block and strip sizes are-- you could make them pretty much what you want so long as your math is right. If the pattern/tutorial offered multiple finished size quilts together with fabric requirements, a variety of alternate settings, several detailed quilting motifs -- then it's sale-worthy. Otherwise, it's nice to look at for inspiration.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
I agree with this.... Yet these types of questions happen here and the response is expected to be all open and freesharing, and I wonder why we have to play by two sets of rules.
example - frequently when I show a quilt and give the pattern name, or others show a quilt, there is someone who will ask for a tutorial or ask for the center block size as a starting point to figure out the rest of the pattern. My initial thought to myself is to think "no, you can't have the information free at my expense when the pattern is available for purchase." But if that response were to be written, I see that either 1: someone jumps in to provide the information anyway, and 2: the person who politely said no ends up being vilified, and is perceived as not helpful, friendly, etc.

So, this dichotomy does exist, and just because we see it on FB and comment here doesn't mean we don't see it here and possibly comment somewhere else.
This happened to me when I posted a picture of a quilt I made with the pattern name. A member of the board sent me a PM and asked me to copy the pattern and send it to her. I contacted a board moderator and she dealt with the member. I think this is how we should all respond. I have seen the moderators working hard to protect copyright.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:33 PM

Thanks for this post. It is really interesting to see how other people feel about it. I also agree with both sides. LOL. Of course. I think if its a free or pretty well known pattern then its ok to "help" someone with the instructions. But if its an intricate or difficult or copyright pattern then that is different. If you paid for it then why should others get it for free? And I agree that the pattern writers do make their living or try to make a living doing that. They should be paid for their work like anyone else. Now I have also bought a pattern and a friend bought a different pattern and we swap and share. But I guess that's kinda contradictory to my above. I guess its really a case by case and person to person thing. LOL. Very interesting conversation though!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:08 PM

Good response, usually if you pay for a pattern you can assume it has copyright on it, I had a similar experience with a work colleague over a pattern I bought in Australia which my daughter fell in love with, my colleagues response when I told her it had copyright on it was, well, thats in Oz not here they will never know!!!! I said I wasn't comfortable doing it so I haven't passed the pattern on.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Honeslty -- I would not buy that pattern unless I was a rank beginner and wanted my hand held. Even then, patterns and craftsy classes are a crap shoot. Occasionally one is very well done and provides useful insights, but the vast majority I've come across are disappointing, not particularly accurate, and don't offer any details or tips beyond basic quilting directions.
That quilt is nice, but it's very easy, and it's by no means an original thought.
and

I must admit that I didn't see why this pattern would even call for asking. The title of the pattern indicates that she uses charm squares and jelly rolls. If they cut the charm squares, it kind of defeats the purpose of the precuts.

KristenJ
Thanks for this post. It is really interesting to see how other people feel about it. I also agree with both sides. LOL. Of course. I think if its a free or pretty well known pattern then its ok to "help" someone with the instructions. But if its an intricate or difficult or copyright pattern then that is different. If you paid for it then why should others get it for free? And I agree that the pattern writers do make their living or try to make a living doing that. They should be paid for their work like anyone else. Now I have also bought a pattern and a friend bought a different pattern and we swap and share. But I guess that's kinda contradictory to my above. I guess its really a case by case and person to person thing. LOL. Very interesting conversation though!
Pattern writers, like anyone else doing something, should do something "worthy" before they get paid. If it isn't particularly original, then maybe or maybe not they should get paid for it. Just because I can sew doesn't mean I automatically can sew for others. I've seen some say just because we sew we are "worth" $10-20/hour. Not true. Some aren't worth $1/hour. Just because I know how to put something in PDF format doesn't mean that I should try to sell patterns.

As to your swapping patterns with your friend. It is yours--you bought it and you can swap it. Just like a book--you can use it, share it, lend it, etc. I suppose some digital only patterns may try to tell you only have the right to use it and that it isn't really yours. Unfortunately that seems to be where we are going and I resent it. Pretty soon, we are going to only "own" print and ink books.

I've seen people try to sell Irish chain patterns.... Irish chain? Really?
Old 06-13-2015, 12:12 AM

when I have used my money to purchase a pattern it is mine. I didn't purchase it to give to someone else or give instructions from the pattern to others.
Copyright or not it is mine to enjoy. Others should ask where they can purchase the pattern from not ask for instructions.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:49 AM

I think you handled your response gracefully. I am always happy to pay for a pattern that someone else has taken the time to create and give detailed instructions to and I know many of us are on the same page. Some people just don't think before they speak... hopefully she'll be enlightened by your response.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
Simply point her to the Craftsy site and tell her you are certain the pattern may still be available for sale.
This is most likely what I would have done, or perhaps said I ordered the pattern and it hasn't arrived yet, so I have no clue, you will have to order the pattern to find out.

FREE Quilting Newsletter