Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: She wants to hang it! Now what should I do?

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I made my grand-neice a scrap-purple quilt that her mom has now decided to hang as THE nursery wallhanging. (I'm very flattered). She's sending the quilt back for me to make a sleeve - or tabs - but now I'm thinking it should be something less permanent. What should I do?

This is the quilt
    Name:  Attachment-179472.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  68.4 KB

I have seen these wooden things that clip on edge of quilt, don't know the name, maybe someone here does. Anyways, they have holes in back for you to place on the nail or whatever. Downside, the ones I ssaw in Hancocks were pretty expensive, but not permanent.

I have seen them hung on a rod using drapery clips and then it does not affect the quilt's functionality.

Blog Entries
    june tailor makes wooden blocks with like a marble inside you put the blocks on the wall and slide the quilt up into it.
    try junetailor.com

I have some clip on rings to hang things on a cafe rod. You squeeze the ring to open up the gripping device, then close over the edge of what you want to hang. These work great for me. You can find them at Walmart. Just saw some very decorative ones this weekend. But I lucked out at a thrift store a while back and got a whole freezer bag full of the less expensive type for $1.00.

BTW, beautiful quilt. I can see why it should be displayed!

I'd just hand-sew a sleeve near the top edge (below the binding) and hang it from a rod-it would hang evenly and not cause any drag.

I bought some Drapery rings with a little cloths pin type hook on it. They fit on a good sized drapery rod or large Dowel. They work good for me. The ones I bought were almost black but they came in other colors.

I agree with the idea of handsewing a sleeve and using a rod, because that can be easily taken off later. The quilt will hang evenly in the meantime!

Blog Entries
    I would go for the clips. So long as the quilt isn't heavy, the clips will not cause any damage. When done hanging and ready to use you will have never noticed it was on clips. Sometimes the big heavy quilts get pulled too much from the clips, but this is a small quilt and should be fine.
    To be honest, I have one of my sons baby quilts hanging up in his room. I put it up there with push pins.

i tend to put sleeves on most of my quilts, they are used on the beds during the cold weather and hung in the summer time. i just match the backing and attach a sleeve across the top of the back before the binding.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast