Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a machine

Shipping a machine

What is the cheapest way to ship a sewing machine? I have one I need to ship from Dallas to Phoenix.

Probably UPS.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Get the total weight and then check prices. Most price checking can be done on line. Check with UPS, USPS, Fedex ground and Greyhound bus lines. A few years ago a company I worked for used Greyhound a lot. Just some ideas.

It can be very hard to pack a sewing machine so that there is no damage, especially the older heavier machines, so be sure to read up on how to pack it. I've also heard about people using Greyhound - good idea.

FedEx Ground has always had the best rates for heavy/bulky items.

You will want to pack the machine in an inner box so that it cannot move - blocks of styrofoam around it or cardboard strips rolled tightly into tubes. Then you'lll want to pack the inner box inside another one that has at least 3" of non-compressible packing material around it - firm foam or the tightly rolled cardboard.

I want to follow this thread as I have a couple antique machines I am looking to sell.

Blog Entries
    Those swimming pool tubes sold cheaply at dollar stores make great packing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    Those swimming pool tubes sold cheaply at dollar stores make great packing!!!
    Thanks for this tip.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I shipped my sewing machine from Oregon to Washington and it cost me $50 through the Post Office. They were cheaper than any place else. By far. I use the P.O. because they are cheaper than UPS or FedEx, believe me.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    i had an older heavy machine mailed to me and they sender packed it very well in a double corrugated box with lots of packing peanuts. there were so many packing peanuts i actually had to dig the machine out of them to get to it but he packed it so well there was no movement of the machine inside the box. he sent it ups.

i have found fedex to have some of the highest shipping prices around. ups prices can be expensive if you ship somewhere that is not a major route like a rural off the beaten path route. i have had to ship some large bulky items through my ebay store. ebay sellers get a slight discount on rates from the major shippers. but the big thing is to pack the machine in a strong box with enough packing materials so that there is no movement of the machine. you want it to be cushioned well for the rough travels it will have and i would mark fragile handle with care on the box.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast