Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shipping >

Shipping

Shipping

Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Ditto!
Originally Posted by davidwent
I am totally with you, I have walked away numerous times because of sipping costs. I now do most of my ordering from Connecting threads and fabric.com. CT has free shipping over 50 bucks and fabric.com over thirty five bucks. I usually have NO problem spending that much! LOL
David
Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM

I have found myself not ordering because of shipping cost more and more these days. I ordered 3 patterns and they wanted $12.00 for shipping. I found a different place to order them from. When I get packages a always check how much it cost to actually send and then how much they charged for shipping. Companies are consistent in over charging.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:03 AM

I won't buy frpm Clotilde for that very reason.

Lanny
Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 AM

i wanted to order a pattern the other day $4.50 and the shipping was $6.50!! To ship paper!
I really really wanted the pattern but i couldnt do it.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
To me, it always seems that shops offer free shipping within continental USA. Not meeting that criteria often adds unreasonable amounts of money. I've managed to negotiate shipping by calling the vendor, since a problem always arises with some companies (such as FedEx) and not others (USPS). If there is no on-line option to choose shipping method, I always call. If shipping & handling seems just an exhorbitant 'extra', I'll find somewhere else to buy.
I understand why companies have preferred methods, and handling costs but don't understand when anything different becomes impossible.
I won't spend the time to call to negotiate shipping price. I shop online for the convenience and having to make a call during their business hours (which incidentally are usually my business hours too) is too inconvenient. Charge the price you want for the item, charge the true price it costs to ship and offer a couple of options for those who can wait (slower is cheaper). That's all I'm asking.

But forcing us to buy more product than we want (in shipping), or offering low prices and then trying to pad the profit line through shipping is a sure way to lose customers.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 AM

I went to Cheryl Phillips' site to order a simple pattern and the shipping alone was $7. For a pattern.

I also get annoyed by the sites that make you fill out all your info BEFORE they let you know how much they're going to charge for shipping.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 PM

For me personally I look at it this way. My back cannot stand the ride to the fabric store. I cannot even think of shopping I might last 5 minutes. If it means I have to pay a little more for shipping it honestly for me and me only is worth the extra charge. There are times I will put in the comment section to see if they can ship it differently and 99% of the time they will. Sometimes it is just an option they set but can be changed.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 AM

I recently made an on-line purchase and as I was adding to the shopping cart I also was watching the shipping cost. It stayed the same until I reached the yardage amount that sent it to the next amount of an additional $5. USPS Priority FR. I knew there were a few items that were an impulse, so I started reducing by 1 yard at a time and only had to reduce 2 yards. It ended up to be 30 yards for 10.95 shipping, no handling charge. I made the sale work to my advantage.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 AM

I pretty much shop where shipping is free after a reasonable amount being spent (as in NOT $200.00!). Otherwise, I add the price of shipping onto the cost of the fabric and if it is not a good enough deal after that, I too just leave the site, cart and all.

I like the places that do the $35.00 or more... free shipping. Anything over $50.00 and I won't bother even trying to get my total that high.