Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shipshewana Quilt Show? >

Shipshewana Quilt Show?

Shipshewana Quilt Show?

Old 05-08-2016, 05:07 AM

Default Shipshewana Quilt Show?

My Guild is getting a bus up to go to Shipshewana at their next quilt show. Quite a long way from the Gulf Coast. Can anyone who has been there let me know about the show? Is it a large show?
Old 05-08-2016, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I have heard of it before but never have gone. Sounds like a fun bus trip. Have you Google the quilt show and found any info??
Old 05-08-2016, 05:50 AM

It is my favorite!!! The schoolhouse is a day of 30 minute classes..bell rigs , go to next class. The quilt show is awesome and in the same building is the Hudson car museum...antique quilts are displayed on the antique cars. I am so ready to get there again. Great vendors and there is an area shop hop. To me, this show is the perfect size. All this and Elenor Burns!!!! WOW!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:00 AM

We drove over from B.C. and it was a wonderful show. We camped right in town, and I was able to attend the schoolhouse classes and also the Ricky Tims class/seminars. The whole town is an "experience" to enjoy, with lots of good food and interesting shops.... but it is a "dry" town so if you're wanting a glass of wine, you will need to bring your own. One friend stayed in the hotel in town and there are strict rules of no alcohol allowed even in your room.
There were a couple of different quilt/fabric stores in the area that we also visited, hopefully your bus tour will include them as well.
Edited: in 2012 when we went..just reading my notes it was very hot and still 100*F at 5 pm, so be prepared for that.
If your request a brochure from Shipshewana tourism they may also have the option where you can pay to have a dinner in an Amish home. We did that and then sat with one of the ladies and hand quilted on a frame for an hour and visited. It was a good experience. In town we shopped at both Lollys and Yoders for fabric.
Some names of the shops, in Middlebury the quilt shop is right next to a restaurant called the Essenhaus, wonderful food... also there are quilt blocks done in the gardens there and a few other places, to check out. We found Homespun Fabrics in Legrange and then went to Caroline's and Emma's...... I really hope you get to enjoy the full experience.

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 05-08-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
It is my favorite!!! The schoolhouse is a day of 30 minute classes..bell rigs , go to next class. The quilt show is awesome and in the same building is the Hudson car museum...antique quilts are displayed on the antique cars. I am so ready to get there again. Great vendors and there is an area shop hop. To me, this show is the perfect size. All this and Elenor Burns!!!! WOW!
Toverly I just did a quick search on the site re previous posts as well... this is one from last year with good info. http://www.quiltingboard.com/offline...e-t265368.html
Old 05-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the line thimblebug6000 and everyone else's comments. It looks like a good show, I guess it the bus trip that I worry about. Several days up there and back with a stop over in Paducah.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:26 AM

I'll be there. Quilt show has about 400 quilts. They have the school house that somebody talked about.
I shave a class with Edyta Sitar. Then there is the quilt shop hop. Love Yoders and Lollies. The food is Amish and great. I sure had a lot of yummy pie last year.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Really nice show, but small in comparison to, say, Paducah or Houston. The real draw is the many shops in the area - some Amish, some not. But your bus may or may not take you around?

I missed the schoolhouse, next time I go (not this year sadly) I will be sure to go to that!
Old 05-08-2016, 03:31 PM

Can your bus stop at Whittle's in Kentucky? That is a nice shop with friendly staff and great prices. Near Bowling Green KY.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:49 PM

Oh, that sounds like it will be quite a fun trip........just bring some hand work and a few books for the bus ride. I wish my guild would do something like this. I've gone to Shipshi a few times, not show dates.....like it there...have fun....