Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping for a NEW IRON. >

Shopping for a NEW IRON.

Shopping for a NEW IRON.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 AM

For me NO AUTO OFF. When I want to press a seam, I want to press it now, not when the iron is cold!!!!! I keep it and a light plugged in the same outlet and so when I leave my sewing room and the light is on, I know that the iron needs unplugged.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:43 AM
j

I went to Goodwill and bought one and it doesnt have steam and gets hot and works fine. -- J
Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 AM

I have a Bosch-got it on Amazon. I went through 5 Rowentas- they are a waste of money. I love my Bosch, best iron I've ever had.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I just bought the Oliso iron. I bought it at a sewing expo I decided that I really need an iron that will do the job. I had a rowenta but because of the open water resovoir a bug got into it and my other one a Black and Decor just quit so for me it just happened to be the right time. I love the fact I don't have to set it up and the quick heat up. It does have a time out feature that is 30 mins which is better then the rowent which was 8 minutes.
I have had so many dif. Irons, from Black &Decker, to you name it...to Rowenta many Hi $$$$ and they all poop out on me or leek like a sieve cause i use the heck out of them... I just got an Oliso from Nancys Notions that was a special something like 60.00 it is wonderful....hot and heats up fast when thw auto off is workn.... so I am a fann of Oliso!!!! :-P :thumbup:
Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by j
I went to Goodwill and bought one and it doesnt have steam and gets hot and works fine. -- J
Yeppers!!! I have bought many from Good will or Salvation army.... like around 3.00 or so. and they poop out just like the $$$$$ so nt too much of a loss.... but I broke down and invested in the Oliso... I love it!! :thumbup:
Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 AM

I have an Oliso and love it because I always had a tendency to let it set down and I would scorch my ironing board cover.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Here's my take on irons. I look for one that has the heat control knob on "top." I do not like having to adjust it trying to get my fingers under the handle. That narrows down the field a lot. I would prefer the auto-off not be there, but that is regulated by law, not an option. I also consider the weight of the iron. I prefer lighter weight. I don't think brand is an issue, go for the features. My favorite iron is the one that is strictly dry. The ironing plate is solid, no holes or grooves to get caught in seam allowances. If you are not looking to buy a "forever" iron, get an inexpensive one, when it dies, try a different one. You haven't invested a lot and you can find out what you really like.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:37 AM

I just bought a very small iron from Amazon.com SteamFast Home & Away Iron. It was on sale for $18.00. And I am soooooo glad I got this. I sprained my hand on Feb 13 of this year, and it took both hands to lift my Shark Iron. This just fits in my hand, is so light weight, and stays hot! I had been looking at it for a while now, and am sooooooooooooo soooooooooo glad I got it.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 AM

My hubby bought me a panasonic cordless iron for my birthday a few years ago and I absolutely love it. I remember when I used to iron fabric how the cord would always catch on the fabric that I had already ironed and wrinkle it. I absolutely love not dealing with the cord all the time! I have to have an iron that steams and I like the fact that the water "tank" on this one is removable so you don't have to take the whole iron to the sink to fill it. Its just the best! Plus no dial, just touch buttons for the settings and a light that stops blinking when it's hot.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 AM

I got a Shark Professional-and after a couple weeks, took it back!! It leaked like a sieve, and I was tired to fighting with it. I was going to get an Oliso, but ended up getting a Rowenta Master at CostCo, and it is German made, not Chinese. I understand the German made ones are better-and so far, 4 months later, it is fantastic-no problems. Even though I hate the auto-shut-off, it heats up quickly, so by the time I have my block situated just right, it is hot again. Fingers Crossed!!!